Make your own Cargo Liner (Mat)

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
ullbergm

Re:

Post by ullbergm »

I took mine out for a while and now i realize how much things really slide around without a floor-mat to keep them in place. If anyone is thinking about doing this, go for it. It has worked out great for me.
Car: Two-tone Base Abyss, Moons and tunes, Power packageMods: 20% tint, Reflective Black GrafxWerks Overlays, German Hella Horns, Hardwired Valentine One, red interior dome lights, custom cargo floormat, police scanner, ham radio, cellphone kit and a bunch of antennas on topWishlist: Rubber floormats, million dollars
UWAdventurer

Re: Make your own Cargo Liner (Flip-Side)

Post by UWAdventurer »

Made the trip to Lowes, made a template with paper, taped it to the matting, cut it, perfect fit!! Great idea! Thanks
2005 Base Salsa Monotone w/ Gold pinstripe & Graphite Interior, 20%Tinted Windows, Automatic, Power Group, Moon & Tunes, XM Satallite, 16" Alloys w/Kleen Wheels & Splash Guards, ABS, FIAMM Air Horns, Side curtain air bags
DavidPIL

Re: Make your own Cargo Liner

Post by DavidPIL »

Hey all...I took the project one step further by attaching black car carpet to the rubber mat using a spray contact adhesive. It didn't stick so well but it still lays flat. I rolled the carpet around the edges. This could be sewn if you have a tough enough machine or just stapled around the edges. Now I have carpet on one side and the basic rubber mat on the other so I can flip it over if I haul something messy.Got the carpet at Auto-Zone. Used black because that's all they had in stock. Standard 3M spray adhesive. Used like a contact adhesive. Simple, easy, looks good!DaveP.S. I hope no one else had mentioned this previously in this thread. I didn't take the time to look through them all
ullbergm

Re: Make your own Cargo Liner (DavidPIL)

Post by ullbergm »

Quote, originally posted by DavidPIL »Hey all...Now I have carpet on one side and the basic rubber mat on the other so I can flip it over if I haul something messy.Sounds like a good idea. Got any pictures? We love pictures
Car: Two-tone Base Abyss, Moons and tunes, Power packageMods: 20% tint, Reflective Black GrafxWerks Overlays, German Hella Horns, Hardwired Valentine One, red interior dome lights, custom cargo floormat, police scanner, ham radio, cellphone kit and a bunch of antennas on topWishlist: Rubber floormats, million dollars
dakranii

Make your own Cargo Liner

Post by dakranii »

here you go, here's the link to the material on Lowe's website:http://www.lowes.com/lkn?actio...=beltor if the link doesn't work, go to lowes.com and search for "anti-fatigue"Looks resistant to everything...mud, antifreeze, battery acid, brake fluid, oil, etc.If they don't have it at lowes, the site says "available at all Lowe's Stores by Special Order. Ask flooring department store associate for special order #131067"
sharkdude

Post by sharkdude »

great idea, thanks!new to the Vibe world! Just bought my wife a 2005 on saturday. Definately need a mat to help my dog from sliding around.any one have pics of a second piece to fit the back of the seats? how bout a split in the mat to allow split seat? how did you keep it in place when the seats are up? some kind of mont to the track?Chris
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

Great idea, I just bought some of this material today. On a side note, I have been using the stuff you put in drawers (shelf liner) to keep thing from sliding. I keep it rolled up as well a folded towel in the compartment above the spare. I just roll it out when I need it. This would surely give this foam stuff further utility when needed. The stuff I'm talking about is a spongy stuff with holes in it.
rainvibe

Re: Make your own Cargo Liner (Flip-Side)

Post by rainvibe »

New Lowe's just opened up nearby! Time to go check out the grand opening and you know what I will be looking for! Great DIY project
03 Frosty GT MonoMoons and TunesPower GroupModsSilverstars OUT GE Nighthawks INMud FlapsRear Bumper ProtectorCustom "Lowes" rear mat
maddmic

Re: Make your own Cargo Liner (rainvibe)

Post by maddmic »

I also made my own cargo mat. I was tired of everything getting scratched up as well. I took my wife's mat out and traced it onto those floor mats that go together like a puzzle (see link). I found that using this material works great since I have a tendancy to put the back seats down and haul a lot of stuff. I was able to make a custom mat that fits the ENTIRE back, while being able to be dismantled to fit just the cargo space when the back seats are upright.http://www.softtiles.com/I bought mine at Sams Club and paid something like $10 for them. Just another option.
ragingfish

Re: Make your own Cargo Liner (maddmic)

Post by ragingfish »

That's pretty cool!A mat that can break down and hide...Brilliant!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
kostby

Post by kostby »

And you could even spell out your name or VIBE or whatever for a little more money with these tiles. Totally cool!

169656=5966-amysm.jpg

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
cspmeinkc

Cargo mat

Post by cspmeinkc »

I went to 3 Home Depot stores today and couldnt find this mat pictured on the first page. I want to make the mat full length of the cargo area with the back seats down. I figured i needed a 5 1/2 by 3 1/2 rubber mat............Any ideas?Any other chain stores?Thanks!
Flip-Side

Re: Cargo mat (cspmeinkc)

Post by Flip-Side »

I purchased my anti-fatigue mat at Lowes, and Home Depot does not carry it. They do carry various mats and cartpet runners though, and any of their stock that is on a big roll can be measured out and cut to your needs.My links on the first page are down due to me canceling comcast. I'll get them back up when I get set up here in michigan.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
patrick2007Vibe

Re: Make your own Cargo Liner (Mat)

Post by patrick2007Vibe »

Just joined here after getting a 2007 Vibe. Was looking for something to protect the back cargo area when I carry my dogs. This thread was EXACTLY what I needed. Anti-fatigue matting is 3' wide, so I put a 3 ft runner on each side to run 1/2 way up to window. Easy to cut w/scissors. Put grommets in & then a washer w/ knotted cord through it to tie to cargo loops on wall of my car. Tail end drops down to protect bumper when dogs jump in. Her are pics after using the "anti-fatigue" matting from Lowes:Image
Flip-Side

Post by Flip-Side »

This was one of my first threads from when I first joined in 2002. The anti-fatigue mat was one of the best investments I made, and I still have the mat I made from back then. Some lowes do still have this mat in stock, but usually only small rolls of it so I'm bummed. Glad you were able to find some, and good job getting it hung along the sides. My dog managed to scrape up the plastic there and the way you have it the bumper is protected.

Thank you for posting the pics, as obviously the old ones I had here are long gone. Cheers Patrick!
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
patrick2007Vibe

Post by patrick2007Vibe »

Well, your post certainly was a great idea--thanks for posting it. When I saw the original post date of your topic from 2002, I had my doubts if the stuff was still around. Originally, when I went to Lowes, they said they only carried the anti-fatigue mat in pre-cut mats.

Finally, I *did* find the stock number of the rolls online at Lowes website --> #113171. Then I went back to Lowes, and they were able to look it up on their computer. (Pays to be persistant! ---Patrick
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nice work Patrick. Nice to see another dog lover here! Vibes & pups go together hand in hand! In your spare time, start a separate post officially introducing yourself, update location, and how about posting a pic of those pups in the back of your Vibe. Welcome :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"