Replace Backing Plate Front Brakes

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
cthomasparr

Replace Backing Plate Front Brakes

Post by cthomasparr »

I have a 2004 vibe and when I was about to do a brake job I noticed that I had a hard time removing the wheels and rotors because they were pretty well rusted on. When I was smacking the rotors with a rubber hammer, I hit the backing plate and dislodged a lot of rust. The backing plate is coming apart on the drivers side. Other side not nearly as bad. Maybe execessive heat with previous owner at one time??. It is still in one piece but I don't want it to fall apart of mess with the brakes.

I want to replace the backing plate and will probably purchase one from an online OEM parts place (about $25).

Anyone have any experience replacing one of these. It looks like the design is for the hub to be removed and I recall reading that was a lot of work. Don't really want to mess with pressed in parts if I can avoid.

Base 2004 vibe w/ABS.

Thanks
Raven

Re: Replace Backing Plate Front Brakes

Post by Raven »

It's a beast of a job for a piece of tin that should be made of stainless instead. On my fleet I usually just let them rust away. Running without them won't cause any grief, especially the front ones.
I'm sure some knowledgeable "expert" will jump down my throat for saying this but I know many, many people who do the same with no ill affects.
jolt

Post by jolt »

It will be a big job and a press is just one of the tools you will most likely need. You have to remove the knuckle so the tie rod end has to come off, along with the lower strut bolts, and the lower ball joint. The front wheel drive shaft must be removed from the hub/knuckle assembly. You will then need to remove the wheel hub from the steering knuckle and that is were the press will come in.

If it rusted away the shield then I would guess that the rest of the front end parts are rusted too and most likely frozen together. By the time you get the stuff freed up, you will probably need to replace a lot of it. Tie rod end, lower ball joint, possible wheel bearing, front end alignment will be just some of the added expenses. Does the shield need to be there? Well if it was not needed, you know the manufacture would not spend the money to put it on. That being said, if it is working leave it alone.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

It's often referred to as a dust shield. It may also help shield the discs from water, but you'll still have water splash through the wheel side and flung off of the tire everywhere anyway. It mostly is just to help keep things looking clean. If they're rusting so bad they're falling apart, I might cut them off relatively close to the knuckle. Loose parts near moving parts...not good. I wouldn't want to risk them getting thrown off while the car is driving down the highway.

You would definitely have to remove the hubs to replace them, and that does require a press according to ProDemand.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit