broken links

Let us know of any problems, suggestions, or questions you have about the GenVibe Website and Forums
basist4

broken links

Post by basist4 »

Admins:

all the links in the "The Great How-To Modifications Index" post in the "Maintenance and CareTech Info & Do-It-Yourself Info" Sub-forum are broken.
joatmon

Re: broken links

Post by joatmon »

It might be a more widespread issue than that one thread. From it's launch until a few years ago, genvibe ran "zeroforum" software, and a few years ago it was migrated to phpBB software. Links to individual threads used to look like
http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=12345 but under phpBB thread URLs are now like
viewtopic.php?t=12345

The switchover included some cross reference, where the old zerothread links were redirected to the new phpBB3/viewtopic URLs. The thread you mentioned was originated before the switch to phpBB, and most of the links are the old ones. This used to still work, however, now none of the old zerothread links get redirected. I don't know when it stopped working, it if was when the forum went blue, or sometime after that. I wonder if it could have been related to whatever caused the problem ColonelPanic related in viewtopic.php?f=27&t=44312
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Bump

Been two months, no word from an admin or mod :cry:

is there anyway to restore the cross reference of the old zerothread links to new links, or is that data now lost forever?
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

Some functions were disabled a few months ago to address a database performance issue that was plaguing the forum. I'll reach out to Mike K to see if he has any feedback. Thanks.
KRR

Post by KRR »

Necroing this topic, since the issue still plagues us...

I tried a straight copy of textual links, replacing the 'zerothread' bits with the proper phpBB3 syntax, and while that does lead to links working, the thread numbers do not seem to align with the topics they are supposed to...

Reading thru the above, seems there was a patch that worked at one point in time, and though I imagine the DB might be relatively large, actual member traffic would seem to be light enough that any reasonable hosting service should be providing the hardware needed for phpBB to run at decent speed...

Anyway - I've been running forums for years (of several different software flavors incl phpBB since v1 & up to v3, but prefer Simplemachines... :ugeek: ), and gladly offer my help in getting this fixed. Be glad to show proof of identity and a "CV" prior to any possible security/privacy/etc issues.

If an Admin doesn't see this, or come by often anymore, would someone forward them a link to this reply? Thanks!
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

Checking for an update. Will post more info as I get it. Thanks!