site suggestion

Let us know of any problems, suggestions, or questions you have about the GenVibe Website and Forums
canadave

site suggestion

Post by canadave »

Hi there, I guess this falls under the "Site Suggestion" category. First off, I feel kind of bad pointing this out, since the mods/admins here did me a solid by creating the "Canada Maritimes" board as I asked :) Which was very cool.

But I was just wondering--has any thought been given to moving to some BB software other than phpBB? The reason I ask is that there seems to be an awful lot of spammers and spam posts that make it in here. Of course I see the mods are usually quick to remove them. But would it not be simpler to just move to a more secure BB system? phpBB is notorious for being insecure in that regard.

Failing that, perhaps there's some administrative tweak that could be done to the installation to make it more difficult for spammers to flood in? :)

cheers!
2009 base Vibe, silver"
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: site suggestion

Post by NSimkins »

We converted to PHPBB about a year ago coming from an unsupported forum software package. That alone was a challenging feat tackled by Mike Kowdley (site admin). I doubt there is any plan to switch to another BB anytime soon. We did tweak the registration process to help eliminate spambots but many times now they are actual humans registering and are able to complete the challenge/response process. I will see if there is a way to harden the process a little to keep spam to a minimum, but ultimately it cannot be stopped completely unless we went to a manual approval method for registrations.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)
canadave

Post by canadave »

Gotcha. Fair enough, no worries, just thought I'd toss the idea out there if it hadn't yet been considered. Good to see it has been :)
2009 base Vibe, silver"
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

we're very well behaved here compared to most other car forums, and if it weren't for spam, the moderators wouldn't have anything to do ;)