Forum Runner Setup

Let us know of any problems, suggestions, or questions you have about the GenVibe Website and Forums
brbo

Forum Runner Setup

Post by brbo »

I run another Forum where I installed Forum Runner - its gone over very well and is simple to install and easy for all users to use - I've copied the info page from their site - please review and hopefully can be installed and it's FREE

THANKS
BRBO
--------------

This forum could support Android and the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad natively with Forum Runner!

What is Forum Runner?

Forum Runner is an Android/iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad App that allows you to browse this forum using a native client.

This means faster access for those users since it only downloads the actual forum information rather than all the extraneous images that slow down the mobile connection.

Forum Runner Feature List

• Browse your favorite forums in an easy-to-use-interface with multiple notification types (private message, subscription, etc)
  • Fully customizable home screen with your favorite forums
  • PUSH NOTIFICATION SUPPORT : Get private message and subscribed thread updates from your favorite forums in the background!
  • Poll updates (private messages/subscriptions) from favorites on home screen - shows you a summary of which forums you have new messages or subscriptions on!
  • Image attachment thumbnail and full size viewing from threads
  • View a thread's image attachments in one convenient screen (much like the native iPhone "Photo" app)
  • Save thread images to your iPhone/iPod touch library
  • Fully search-able forums!
  • View embedded links without leaving the app, including YouTube videos
  • Supports portrait AND landscape mode
  • Full posting options (quote posts, start new thread, etc)
  • Attach unlimited photos from your library (or take a photo from the camera and attach it)
  • Full support for private messages and private message folders
  • Full support for thread subscriptions - track your favorite threads and be updated via push when they have new posts!
Some screen shots of Forum Runner running on various devices:

iPhone: Home Screen with customizable icons and notifications:

Push notification updates while outside the app:

ImageImage

Image attachment browser from a thread:

ImageImage

Fully searchable forums:

ImageImage

Full forum browsing:

ImageImage

How can I get the Forum Runner iPhone Client?

Either search "Forum Runner" in the App Store on your iPhone, or click one of the links below:

Get Forum Runner Full Version from App Store

Get Forum Runner Free Version from App Store

How can I get the Forum Runner Android Client?

Either search "Forum Runner" in the Google Market on your Android device, or click one of the links below:

Get Forum Runner Full Version from Google Market

Get Forum Runner Free Version from Google Market
mkowdley
Site Admin

Re: Forum Runner Setup

Post by mkowdley »

brbo - thanks for this post. Once I get things running smoothly on the website and work out all the migration kinks, then improving mobile support is at the top of my "new projects" list. when i get there i will definitely review this again.

is forum runner something that has to be installed on the server, or it is purely a client-side application? does it need to support our forum software (phpbb 3.10) to work properly, or does it work with any forum software?

my plan is to also look around and see if the problem can just be solved with a mobile-optimized phpBB3 style, although i don't know if there is a way for the thing to automagically switch styles when you view in a mobile browser.
brbo

Post by brbo »

hey mk

we chat offline if you want - one quick install for phpbb3 - and then the app runs independently - no fuss no muss

also mobile optimization can work we can chat - i just find a simple account and nothing further is needed

d/l the app and look up other forums - the pay version includes admin rights

cheers brbo
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

Did anything come of this? I have the Forum Runner app, but it doesn't see genvibe.

I'd love to be able to connect to genvibe via an app, or even just a mobile version of the site. Accessing the full website via my phone's browser works, but its a little awkward.
Last edited by runningslow on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
canadave

Post by canadave »

I too would love to see this.
2009 base Vibe, silver"