Suggestion For A Bit Of..... Flavor

Let us know of any problems, suggestions, or questions you have about the GenVibe Website and Forums
A Psycho Martyr

Suggestion For A Bit Of..... Flavor

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

So this would be a site suggestion. I think it would be kinda neat if, on every section of our forum, we had a different Vibe up top. For example: When you click the Chat link, up top will be a picture of MY Vibe.When you click the Active Topics link, you'll see a pic of Blue Crush's Vibe.On top of the home page, will be a nice profile of Ponta's Vibe.Go over to Matrix Owners to see what I'm tlkin bout. That's where I got this idea.
Kari

Post by Kari »

I wouldn't have a problem with that IF someone wanted to take the time to gather and clean up the photos and write a script to randomize the selection so there are no questions of "favoritism." Of course I'm not the final authority either, that would be mkowdley.
GenVibe Global Moderator
A Psycho Martyr

Re: (Kari)

Quote, originally posted by Kari » write a script to randomize the selection so there are no questions of "favoritism."I agree. I'd like it randomized as well. would make it more interesting I think. And I'm only one day experienced in any REAL photo editing.lol. so I can't do it and the folks who can are working so maybe it's better off a future goal than it is a current interest. Anyways...it had crossed my mind a few times, so I thought i'd shoot the idea out there
jkm311

Re: (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by jkm311 »

Not a bad idea at all. It's the execution that would be killer:There would have to be photo guidelines (like getting a passport!), so everyone's photo would be in a similar "format." Maybe if we all agreed on everyone having a "profile" shot, or "front grille" shot, etc. Someone would then have to gather said photos, make sure they are sized the same, cut them out in Photoshop, etc. Would we want to label them with everyone's screen name? Font?And yes – there's the job of writing the code...
Steelies to the rescue.
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

Well, I got the registry images working in a fixed size frame without too much effort, there is some client-side javascript that resizes it. The most likely way to do something like you're describing would be to pull random images from the registry. The execution would be tricky, and then there is always the issue of someone putting something intentionally unsightly there.And, there's the extra problem of someone putting something that's offensive to some people only... imagine if you posted your Vibe posed with a bikini-babe - offensive to some, but not to others. I'm open to ideas on how to handle it, the programming itself is not complex.
A Psycho Martyr

Re: (mkowdley)

I say first we lay guidelines for pics. 1-Vibes ONLY! and no props in the pics (no chics, trophies, banners, etc)2-No cell phone pics. To look professional we need actual cameras. Just two I could come up with. Any suggestions? And I say no screen names...just Generation Vibe.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by A Psycho Martyr »I say first we lay guidelines for pics. 1-Vibes ONLY! and no props in the pics (no chics, trophies, banners, etc)2-No cell phone pics. To look professional we need actual cameras. Just two I could come up with. Any suggestions? And I say no screen names...just Generation Vibe.Some people may not have an actual camera, maybe only one is their cell. And what is wrong with props in a picture? Joatmon has a picture of a toy Vibe being eaten by Godzilla in his registry and is, if not the most respected members here.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
A Psycho Martyr

Re: (ou.grizzly)

No sayin there's a problem with props... in fact I encourage individuality with car shots. It makes them more interesting.Just sayin, in my opinion, for a banner at the top of the page it would look better to have just cars. And my phone has a 3.2 mp camera on it. that's plenty for a good pic, but a 1 mp isn't gonna make a clear sharp photo.Also I take back what I said bout no screen names. They'd probably look neat watermarked in the banner
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Yeah, I was gonna say, some cell phones have 5-8mp cameras now
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
cp_stunna_2011

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by cp_stunna_2011 »

all the pictures taken with my vibe are off of my phone which is 3.1 megapixels and they look decent
Baby Blue
A Psycho Martyr

Re: (cp_stunna_2011)

I understand that there are plenty phones with good cameras. My comment was directed toward cell phones with VGA cameras. Horrible horrible pics.
A Psycho Martyr

Anyone still interested in this?I'm a little better w/ the photo editing now and if ppl are interested, I'd be happy to start a thread and save pics of everyone's Vibe and get em ready to be plugged into some script or whatever. We still need a volunteer to do the whole "setup" thing tho. I think it'd make the site more colorful. To see any really nice pics, you gotta dig into ppls garage threads, I'd like to see constant reminders that there are plenty nice Vibes out there and I think it'd attract more new members as well.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Well I'm taking a multimedia animation class at my high school so I may learn how to do this. I was actually thinking about this while lurking around MO and 9thgen. But hey, this would be a great idea. Maybe even link the picture to the garage thread.