spellcheck inop?

Let us know of any problems, suggestions, or questions you have about the GenVibe Website and Forums
joatmon

spellcheck inop?

Post by joatmon »

the spell check function isn't working for me. Now, I almost never use it because I am such and exzellent spellur, but sumtimes I could use a bit of help. When I click on the spell check button, it opens a new window that fails to connect to spellcheck.genvibe.com.nslookup is telling me spellcheck.genvibe.com is an alias for proxy1.rely.net, 66.81.238.231. (Was rely.net associated with the pre-move hosting?) Is it a localized DNS issue on my ISP, or is there some more centralized thing going on?
ColonelPanic

Re: spellcheck inop? (joatmon)

Post by ColonelPanic »

spel chek broak here too. brings up a blank popup with a busy cursor and never finds what it is looking for. fortunately, opera is nice enough to automagically highlight what i misspell.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
zionzr2

Re: spellcheck inop? (ColonelPanic)

Post by zionzr2 »

i use the built-in spell check that comes with firefox.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »spel chek broak here too. brings up a blank popup with a busy cursor and never finds what it is looking for. fortunately, opera is nice enough to automagically highlight what i misspell.Looks fine to me.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
beemerphile1

Re: spellcheck inop? (K-NINE)

Post by beemerphile1 »

I use iespell as an add-on to internet explorer. Works great, I use it on all forums and even with email.http://www.iespell.com/
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
Cruxless

Post by Cruxless »

Spell check is broke here too.
mkowdley
Site Admin

Re: spellcheck inop? (joatmon)

Post by mkowdley »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »the spell check function isn't working for me. Now, I almost never use it because I am such and exzellent spellur, but sumtimes I could use a bit of help. When I click on the spell check button, it opens a new window that fails to connect to spellcheck.genvibe.com.nslookup is telling me spellcheck.genvibe.com is an alias for proxy1.rely.net, 66.81.238.231. (Was rely.net associated with the pre-move hosting?) Is it a localized DNS issue on my ISP, or is there some more centralized thing going on? Aye, spellcheck is gone and unlikely to return.At one point years ago (2001-ish), someone involved with the website was cozy with Rely.net, which made the Zeroforum product. GenVibe was set up with ZF to promote that relationship, but then this company split up and the people with the Rely.net relationship left. Several years after that (2006-ish), Rely.net stopped offering Zeroforum as a product and stopped all support for it (they now offer a hosted solution, I believe, but at rates that make it out of the question). Even when Zeroforum was something you could download and install, the spellcheck piece of it was always hosted on the Rely.net servers. After they stopped supporting Zeroforum, the spellcheck still worked for a few years, but apparently that time has ended.The fact that we use end of lifed, unsupported software, has been a thorn in my side for some time, but I just haven't mustered the energy to do something about it, which will be painful from a technical point of view (writing a converter) as well as from a user point of view (getting used to new software). So, here we are.I disabled the spellcheck link so that people wouldn't be tempted. Personally I've also found the Firefox one to be very good, and more responsive than using a network based one. Sounds like Opera has one and IE has an add-on that can do it as well.
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »spel chek broak here too. brings up a blank popup with a busy cursor and never finds what it is looking for. fortunately, opera is nice enough to automagically highlight what i misspell.I get the same so I have been using ieSpell on the browser... knot taht eye reely ned it eethver.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM