Several forum software questions, please

Let us know of any problems, suggestions, or questions you have about the GenVibe Website and Forums
06pvibe

Several forum software questions, please

Post by 06pvibe »

I am having a little trouble navigating your software here and was hoping someone could help?1) I can't seem to find the "quote" button, yet I see other posts that have quotes in them.2) When adding/entering a new post, the page always goes back to the top of the forum. Am I doing something wrong?3) I am guessing that PMs are in the form of instant messaging here? That one took me by surprise.4) When IMing, it seem that the previous post goes away and you can't refer back to it later on. Is this correct?5) As you can see, I posted a signature, but hope I am not breaking any size rule. I couldn't find a max size for sigs and sig pics.6) Is it possible to center a sig here? That's what I usually do, but the usual HTML [center} command didn't work for me.Thank you all in advance for your comments and suggestions. Richard
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
keithvibe

Re: Several forum software questions, please (06pvibe)

Post by keithvibe »

when you click on the person who you want to reply to in the upper right hand corner. when the reply box pops up youwill see the quote tab at the top. It will quote the person your replying to.If you want to quote mutiple people scroll the page down and you will see the other posts with the quote tab.Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »I am having a little trouble navigating your software here and was hoping someone could help?1) I can't seem to find the "quote" button.2) When adding/entering a new post, the page always goes back to the top of the forum. Am I doing something wrong?3) I am guessing that PMs are in the form of instant messaging? That one took me by surprise.4) When IMing, it seem that the previous post goes away and you can't refer back to it later on. Is this correct?5) As you can see, I posted a signature, but hope I am not breaking any size rule. I couldn't find a max size for sigs and sig pics.Thank you all in advance for your comments and suggestions. Richard In your profile you will see IM history for the last ten people you IM'ed.click on the name and it will pull up the IM history.There aren't siggy size rules but there are siggy guidelines. If the guidelines are not met you may see an IM from a MOD asking you to resize it.you can see the guidelines posted herehttp://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=24724
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
808 Vibes

Re: Several forum software questions, please (keithvibe)

Post by 808 Vibes »

^ ^ interesting...did not know that, but a little birdie taught me how to do this!
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
keithvibe

Re: Several forum software questions, please (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by HawaiiPontiacLover »^ ^ interesting...did not know that, but a little birdie taught me how to do this!any time for my tropical vibe lover
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
808 Vibes

Re: Several forum software questions, please (keithvibe)

Post by 808 Vibes »

chirp, chirp, chirp!! oops....fixed it, o wise Mastah...from Grasshoppa
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
lovemyraffe

Re: Several forum software questions, please (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Mastah? Grasshopper?
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe » I am having a little trouble navigating your software here and was hoping someone could help?1) I can't seem to find the "quote" button, yet I see other posts that have quotes in them. The quote button is only available when you reply next to the "Save Draft" button. If you are wanting to quote something from another post or another site just use the [ quote ] text [/ quote ] (without the spaces) 2) When adding/entering a new post, the page always goes back to the top of the forum. Am I doing something wrong? No, that is just the way it is here. 3) I am guessing that PMs are in the form of instant messaging here? That one took me by surprise. Correct. 4) When IMing, it seem that the previous post goes away and you can't refer back to it later on. Is this correct? You can refer back to IM's later by clicking on the "IM under the username and then when the IM window pops up, click on "Send". The previous IMs you sent to them or that they sent to you will show up in the message window. 5) As you can see, I posted a signature, but hope I am not breaking any size rule. I couldn't find a max size for sigs and sig pics. See above posts. 6) Is it possible to center a sig here? That's what I usually do, but the usual HTML [center} command didn't work for me. Not sure on that one. Thank you all in advance for your comments and suggestions. Richard
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
808 Vibes

Re: Several forum software questions, please (lovemyraffe)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe » Mastah? Grasshopper?uh-oh...another Grasshoppa...your kung fu is quite good...but can you do this?
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
06pvibe

Re: Several forum software questions, please (BlueCrush)

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »2) When adding/entering a new post, the page always goes back to the top of the forum. Am I doing something wrong? No, that is just the way it is here.Thanks Blue for the useful and helpful info. If the page always goes back to the top, is there a way to view the forum/thread in reverse linear order (e.g. newest post first?) I checked my options on my profile menu page and didn't see a way to do that either.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »Thanks Blue for the useful and helpful info. If the page always goes back to the top, is there a way to view the forum/thread in reverse linear order (e.g. newest post first?) I checked my options on my profile menu page and didn't see a way to do that either. I don't believe you can set this option anywhere.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
06pvibe

Re: Several forum software questions, please (Sputnik)

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Sputnik »I don't believe you can set this option anywhere. Yeah, I was afraid of that. Please don't take this the wrong way because as a new member I love this site, but the software is very limiting. Any chance the powers-that-be will upgrade it any time soon?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe » Any chance the powers-that-be will upgrade it any time soon?I think an upgrade would require a full conversion to a different forum software, which seems unlikely to happen anytime soon. (admins - looks like vwvortex might be tranisitoning away from zeroforum ((link)) if genvibe ever considers doing the same thing maybe they'lll share some lessons learned )Personally, I don't find the forum software to be "very limiting". It is different from the vBulletin you are used to, but lack of a [center] tag and reverse thread display, I just don't see how those can be "very limiting". I mean, if you want to find fault in something, there's always the eccentricities of the zeroforum search function
06pvibe

Re: Several forum software questions, please (joatmon)

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »I think an upgrade would require a full conversion to a different forum software, which seems unlikely to happen anytime soon. (admins - looks like vwvortex might be transitioning away from zeroforum ((link)) if genvibe ever considers doing the same thing maybe they'll share some lessons learned )Personally, I don't find the forum software to be "very limiting". It is different from the vBulletin you are used to, but lack of a [center] tag and reverse thread display, I just don't see how those can be "very limiting". I mean, if you want to find fault in something, there's always the eccentricities of the zeroforum search function As stated, no offense was intended. 'Sorry if you took it as otherwise. It is quite different from vB, which I know has its own set of eccentricities. You have a good core group here, are a smaller forum, which I personally prefer and I'm sure will get used to it (as I have to some degree already.)Again. sorry to offend. 'Not my intention.I am not familiar with the "zeroforum search function?"
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »As stated, no offense was intended. 'Sorry if you took it as otherwise. It is quite different from vB, which I know has its own set of eccentricities. You have a good core group here, are a smaller forum, which I personally prefer and I'm sure will get used to it (as I have to some degree already.)Again. sorry to offend. 'Not my intention.I am not familiar with the "zeroforum search function?" You'd have to try a lot harder if you meant to offend I was just saying I don't see the missing functions as being "very limiting". I understand they would be nice, but not a big deal to me. I don't use them on other forums so I don't miss them here. zeroforum is the software this place uses. The search function here is quirky
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

I have found most search functions on forums, no matter who wrote the SW, to be rather quirky if not downright useless. I never use the reverse order function elsewhere either, except that here the page always goes back to the top which of course means one has to scroll down to find their own or any other new posts on the thread. I thought that function might help that, or save the user from having to do that. (a step saved, etc...)And centering is just something I have gotten used to be able to use. Not having it is certainly not a life or death situation. Even w/the upgraded SW on Mazdaforum that took place over a year ago now, we still have some "issues," functions or graphics that don't work properly. I have asked the Admin and IT people @ Internet Brands to look into them, but we too are a small forum and don't rate much of their time, I guess.
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »I think an upgrade would require a full conversion to a different forum software, which seems unlikely to happen anytime soon. (admins - looks like vwvortex might be tranisitoning away from zeroforum ((link)) if genvibe ever considers doing the same thing maybe they'lll share some lessons learned ) Yeah, dealing with the conversion is the biggest part of it. There is also dealing with the users who are used to ZF now. Granted ZF's market share is minuscule compared to vbulletin or phpbb, but this board has been around long enough that people are pretty comfortable with it.I don't actually know if I'm on good terms with the VWV people or not any more (there was some weirdness when the two sites were owned by the same company, but nothing that I personally was involved in), but thanks for this info - I'll get in touch with Jamie, who I worked with years ago, and see if I can get some information on how they're going about it.Regarding the search function, I can probably just integrate a Google search right into the forum site, and that will make the majority of the forums searchable that way.It is pretty funny that they are using ZF 2.1.2 (2008), and we are using ZF 2.1.1 (2004).
mkowdley
Site Admin

Re: Several forum software questions, please (mkowdley)

Post by mkowdley »

Quote, originally posted by mkowdley »Regarding the search function, I can probably just integrate a Google search right into the forum site, and that will make the majority of the forums searchable that way. So I added a search box at the top of the page that searches http://www.genvibe.com, forums.genvibe.com, and gallery.genvibe.com . It doesn't allow you to do the various forum specific critera that the built-in forum search does, but it does produce good results and may come in handy for some types of searches.
star_deceiver

Re: Several forum software questions, please (mkowdley)

Post by star_deceiver »

Cool!!! Let's see what we can find...
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)