Brakes- expected replacement cost front/back '05 Vibe

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Whotony

Brakes- expected replacement cost front/back '05 Vibe

Post by Whotony »

I'm in need of new brakes and was quoted close to $700 for replacement from a local place where we get the oil changed.

That seems high to me.

So what do you guys think a reasonable cost estimate would be.
Whotony

Re: Brakes- expected replacement cost front/back '05 Vibe

Post by Whotony »

Here’s the estimate.
Attachments
D7B73800-2828-449B-ABF8-7EF5E097AA22.jpeg
D7B73800-2828-449B-ABF8-7EF5E097AA22.jpeg (55.76 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I don't know, the parts costs seem 30-50% higher than what I see at a chain auto parts store. For example, the most expensive front brake rotor for a 2005 Base Vibe at advanceautoparts.com is about $54, and that's before the discount they always give for ordering on line. So they seem high, but maybe that's what to expect.

I always get sticker shock at labor costs, but you got to figure that they charrge you for what they pay the tech, plus the tech's benefits and withholding, plus overhead for running the shop and paying the utilities, as well as some for management, administration, accountants, etc. A lot of things go into a customer's per hour charge that are reasonable, but only if you keep in mind what the shop has to charge to pay the base hourly rate to the tech. I really can't say if those labor charges are reasonable for the job, I haven't ever actually paid anypone to do brakes, so I've got nothing to compare it to.

I suggest getting an estimate from a different place, just for comparison
Transylvania

Post by Transylvania »

Yes, estimate seems pretty high. I'd get a second quote. Recently replaced my front rotors and brake pads, using Bosch quiet rotors and Akabono brake pads. So far, very pleased with their performance.

If you do the job yourself, you know it's done well and can use quality parts.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Are you mechanically inclined ? You can save a TON of money doing it yourself AND with quality parts. YouTube is a GREAT source...i have always done my own work but youtube has sharpened my skills. Chris Fix, Eric the car guy and Scotty Kilmer are great sources. Maybe a buddy can help ? Dont have tools ? Go to harbor freight 8-) I have Akebono pads and advance auto rotors with no issues.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Whotony

Post by Whotony »

Thanks for the input.
The quote is from a chain called Tuffy’s.

I have done the brakes in this car myself years ago but I’m not able to at this time to do it again.
Couple of bad shoulders keeping me from doing things like this these days.

I’ll check another place for a price.
jolt

Post by jolt »

You did not list your location and location is everything when it comes to pricing. Different parts of the country can very widely in labor cost and parts too. So one person here may think the prices are reasonable and the next person may think the price is outrageous. Something else that goes along with the cost is the length of warranty that is provided. You want to find this info out too so that you are comparing apples to apples when you get quotes from different shops in your area.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

For what it is worth, I just did a complete front brake job on my HET at Pep Boys for $420 (after the $60 rebate). That included brake fluid flush, new rotors and akebono brake pads. So, if your quote is for front disk pads and rotors AND rear shoes, the price doesn't seem too outrageous to me. I can't speak to the quality of the pads they are quoting you to compare to the akebono pads I always get which are top of the line.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Definitely high when comparing to DIY. Does this place offer lifetime warranty on the parts? Monro Muffler for example offers lifetime brakes/rotors; just have to pay the labor next time around. If you are going to be unable to do them in the future, it may be worth considering a garage offering such a deal.

What's your location? If you are near some other members, they may help you out. You purchase parts, provide adult beverages and a few bucks, and they can help install. :D
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Whotony

Post by Whotony »

I'm in SWF.

Near Fort Myers