antilock brakes

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
dpetepiece

antilock brakes

Post by dpetepiece »

2006 Base Vibe with 5 speed.

Ordered vehicle new with antilock brakes.

Doing some maintenance which included new axle shaft on Driver's side, new lower ball joint, new struts all corners, new sway bar links.

Was careful not to physically damage wheel speed sensor but currently ABS light and tire pressure light are both on. I know tire pressure system relies on signal from wheel speed sensor. New axle includes the toothed ring for the wheel speed sensor.

I tried tracing wheel speed wire into engine compartment looking for a joint where I could measure ohms and AC voltage when wheel rotates but the wire disappears somewhere under air filter housing.

I have an expensive AUTEL obd2 tool which claims to also do ABS. If I input that my vehicle is a GM product, the AUTEL says it cannot establish communication. If I say I have an Asian or Japanese vehicle the AUTEL system goes a bit further. In 2006 the Matrix did not offer ABS.

The AUTEL works great on engine obd2 issues.

Any suggestions most appreciated

Dave
SeattleJeremy

Re: antilock brakes

Post by SeattleJeremy »

The base Matrix 5-speed might not have offered ABS, but it was optional of the 5-speed XR's and standard on 6-speed XRS's.

On the new axle are the teeth the same width apart and height as the original?
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Wiring diagrams appear to show that the sensor wiring is terminated at an ECU located on the hydraulic actuator.

If that's hard to access, you might consider a wire piercing probe for your meter.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Did you re-connect the wheel speed sensor? Is it the original sensor? The sensor wires can break or short inside the wire insulation when bent or handled rough. You may want to check the wires for continuity...
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
jolt

Post by jolt »

dpetepiece wrote:2006 Base Vibe with 5 speed.

I have an expensive AUTEL obd2 tool which claims to also do ABS. If I input that my vehicle is a GM product, the AUTEL says it cannot establish communication. If I say I have an Asian or Japanese vehicle the AUTEL system goes a bit further. In 2006 the Matrix did not offer ABS.

The AUTEL works great on engine obd2 issues.

Any suggestions most appreciated

Dave

I have a launch cpr129 scan tool. If I choose GM and input my VIN code for my Vibe, all I can read are the generic power codes and that is it. If I choose Toyota and input Matrix then I can read all data and the scanner works as it should in all test modes.
dpetepiece

Post by dpetepiece »

An update from original post.

Ordered left front wheel speed sensor from Amazon.com. Amazon.ca did not have it.
Once I realized all that had to be removed was the plastic inner fender and then only the very top part, it took less than 30 minutes to replace the sensor.
The new sensor had an ohm reading which the problem one did not.

After driving 100 yards the ABS and TPMS lights went out.

Very happy. Cost for part about $60

Dave
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Glad you got it fixed :)
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT