Steering makes a creaking sound when wheel turned.

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
gginnj

Steering makes a creaking sound when wheel turned.

Post by gginnj »

My vibe makes a creaking sound when you turn the steering wheel - either direction - and when the car is off as well. Steering feels tight.

Would the power steering pump make noise even when the engine is off?

It's louder inside the car - still need to find someone however to turn it while I'm under the hood to better judge the location.

Does this sound more like a rack, or possibly a tie rod end?

Sounds like someone is using a tape gun - when you pull the tape that creaky stretchy noise it makes....

the noise varies with the speed the wheel is turned.

It's not a groan, and happens only when the wheel is turned - from when you first start to turn it until all the way to lock.

Thanks for any insights......
jolt

Re: Steering makes a creaking sound when wheel turned.

Post by jolt »

Possible tie rod end, lower ball joint, upper strut mounting plate bearing can all cause this can of noise at low speeds over mild bumps. What year is your Vibe? The first gen Vibes and second gen Vibes have completely different power steering systems on them so it is hard to suggest anything with the steering until the car year is known. If it is a first gen Vibe, other known noise problems come from the belt on the engine and the belt tension-er being bad but I would not call that noise a creaking sound.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Don't forget to look at your constant velocity (CV) boots to see if they are cracked. There often will be black grease strewn all inside your tire's wheel well as the grease gets sprayed around.
gginnj

Post by gginnj »

it's a 2004 vibe.

It makes the noise whether the car is driving or parked, which was why I was suspecting maybe the tie rod or the rack - since it did it parked - just turing the wheel. I didn't think the CV was involved, it didn't matter which direction the wheel is turned - and no morning sickness.

The pump's fluid level was a little above minimum (hot after driving) so I may add some more fluid - but it wasn't below the low level.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Well, there is no thinking involved when talking about the CV boots. Just take a flash light and shine it down through the engine bay and look at the boots. If they are cracked, the black grease will avail itself, whether in the lower engine bay or in the wheel well. Take a look and rule it in/out. As you said, if the car is stopped and you turn the wheel both ways, it is unlikely to be the CV joints, although when water and dirt particles replace the grease in the boots, all kinds of weird noises emanate. Good luck.
gginnj

Post by gginnj »

Well....Found some You Tube noise videos (like looking medical symptoms....) found this video

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qU6JyYnhtI[/youtube]

What is involved in the Vibe to replace these bushings? Is it almost the same amount of work to replace the rack?

Was considering doing brakes, inner/outer tie rods and stabilizer (and may try the ball joint too) -
Will have to consider the R & P also now.....

The engine and trans are good - so I may consider the effort
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I would first squirt some CRC heavy silicone on them. I don't know if it works. but it's cheap enough to give it a try.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476