Hub assembly stuck in backing plate? Vibe GT

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Mozilla2ZZ

Hub assembly stuck in backing plate? Vibe GT

Post by Mozilla2ZZ »

So hub assembly and backing plate are seized, lovely Michigan car. Sprayed last night to soak in liquid wrench, not sure if it's going to come free. Curious if anyone can help me source an affordable back right corner for a GT with rear disc brake and the internal parking brake drum assembly?

Also curious about a P0420 and how important that is for me to get remedied and how soon, stupid cat probably gets deleted in the end but lmk.
Capt.Vibe

Re: Hub assembly stuck in backing plate? Vibe GT

Post by Capt.Vibe »

I just went through this recently with my base 1.8L. My backing plates rusted so badly they partially broke off. We purchased new ones from Toyota but like you, could not get the hub off as it was fused to the plate by rust. We finally got it off by using a small portable jackhammer and a lot of banging which at that point I lost confidence and just went with new aftermarket hub assemblies. (Mevotech) Another option is to find a 2.4L in a bone yard and remove the entire axle beam assembly with everything attached. It actually isn't that difficult to remove/install. In retrospect I should have gone this route, I'd probably have a lot less problems with my brakes rattling.

The P0420 is likely one of the oxygen sensors. You can wait on that but your fuel economy won't like it.
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA
zbyers

Re: Hub assembly stuck in backing plate? Vibe GT

Post by zbyers »

I know price can be challenging, but you may need to take it to a local garage to have them yank the hub off. we took ours off with the backing plate attached and were finally able to get them separated.

P0420 on this platform is 99% chance the cat on it's way out. If you have a bluetooth code reader, you can use the torque app to read the o2 sensors. If they make nice "waves," the sensors are fine and the cat is losing its efficiency. It's not detrimental, but may slightly affect your fuel mileage. You could weld in MagnaFlow 99205HM; it's about $100 part and most places run about $75 to weld it in. Much cheaper than the $300+ for a new kitty for these cars.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe