Rough ride getting rougher..time for new shocks/struts?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
professorjedi

Rough ride getting rougher..time for new shocks/struts?

Post by professorjedi »

Hey all and thanks in advance for advice!

Got a 2010 2.4L AWD 71K miles and it's starting to feel like a much rougher ride. The ride has never been great, as mentioned in other posts, but it seems to be getting worse.

My local Big O tires changed front tires and I asked them to look at the suspension and they said everything is fine, but the car is 71,000 miles. Is it time to change out struts/shocks?

I've been reading that Monroes give smoother ride... have other had this experience with their Vibes?

Looking for some wisdom from the crowds :)

Cheers,

Mike
2010 2.4L AWD almost 100K miles
vibrologist

Re: Rough ride getting rougher..time for new shocks/struts?

Post by vibrologist »

My experience with expiring gas struts is that the ride does get rougher at first because the gas pressure gets lost, then there will be an oil leak and the ride gets softer. Most mechanics look for oil leaks and give a thumbs up when the struts look dry.

I've put Monroe quick struts in my Gen1. The springs are slightly less harsh than the originals. So don't expect a miraculous transformation by using them. The ride remained harsh but a little less punishing. Click on the link in my signature and scroll down until you see the pictures of the struts side by side.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476