'09 Vibe GT - Speed Sensitive Power Steering Warning Light

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
snowangel8504

'09 Vibe GT - Speed Sensitive Power Steering Warning Light

Post by snowangel8504 »

I had the engine replaced in my '09 Vibe GT a few weeks ago as the previous owner of my car did not take care of the engine at all. Thankfully, it runs good again but a couple of days ago, I had the Speed Sensitive Power Steering Warning Light turn on. I don't find the car hard to steer at all but the warning light only comes on shortly after I put my car in park. When I put the car in reverse or drive, the warning light shuts off. Has anyone ever come across this before and know what the cause of it could be? Could changing the engine out have caused this? Thanks for the help!
tpollauf

Re: '09 Vibe GT - Speed Sensitive Power Steering Warning Light

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. As the owner of FOUR Vibe GT's, two of them being 2009's, I've never encountered such a problem/condition. The fact that you had an engine replacement recently tells me that it is related to something not hooked back up during the surgery process. You have my curiosity on a lot of issues. How many miles on the car? How long have you owned it? What exactly was wrong with the engine which led to you needing to replace it? If the engine was shot then maybe the tranny was abused also? Fill us in on more details when you get a chance. Thanks for joining up here with us :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
snowangel8504

Post by snowangel8504 »

Thanks! The car itself has 96k on it and the replacement engine has 79k. I have had the car for a year and half and bought it at a local car dealership. The reason for replacing my engine was due to the previous owner not keeping up with oil changes and maintenance on the engine. When I first had the problem, my car shut off while I was driving home. I coasted the car into a driveway and it would not restart. I have a Verizon Hum ODBII reader gave me a code for why my car wouldn't start. Originally, I thought it was crankshaft sensor. I towed it to the first repair shop where they told me it was the timing chain and that they couldn't do it. I was forced to tow my car to yet another repair shop where they found that it was the engine it self. The shop could have rebuild the top half of the engine but was afraid that the bottom half might be just as bad. It was best to replace the engine.

As far as the SSPS Warning Light coming on, it has never happened before. My natural instinct was to check the power steering fluid but I'm glad that I looked up some more information as the car doesn't use it. I just find it odd that the warning light comes on after I have put my car in park. It doesn't come on when I'm driving and like I stated before I have no steering problems or any difficulty when I am driving.

tpollauf wrote:Welcome to GenVibe. As the owner of FOUR Vibe GT's, two of them being 2009's, I've never encountered such a problem/condition. The fact that you had an engine replacement recently tells me that it is related to something not hooked back up during the surgery process. You have my curiosity on a lot of issues. How many miles on the car? How long have you owned it? What exactly was wrong with the engine which led to you needing to replace it? If the engine was shot then maybe the tranny was abused also? Fill us in on more details when you get a chance. Thanks for joining up here with us :D
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

All 09+ Vibes have electric power steering. Whoever did the engine replacement needs to double check all wiring harnesses and connections going to the steering rack. Something got pulled or chafed.
2009 Vibe Base