STRUTS AND SHOCKS. WHAT BRANDS AVAIL. FOR VIBE

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Pr0230

STRUTS AND SHOCKS. WHAT BRANDS AVAIL. FOR VIBE

Post by Pr0230 »

I have a 2009 VIBE 2.4 L FWD. 17 inch wheels... I’m looking to replace my suspension struts and shocks.
But it seems that NOT all brands are available for my car... I decided that i wanted BILSTEIN equipment
But NO one sells them for my car. I dont want KYB as from what im reading they are the OEM supplier.

SOME additional info. Im a bit spooked with the driving speeds on the high ways... 80 is the new 70 (speed limit)
If you in the slow lane you better be doing 80... if you pass yur doing 85-90... So I want better that oem
Shocks and struts...

CAN I PUT BILSTEINS ON MY CAR?
SeattleJeremy

Re: STRUTS AND SHOCKS. WHAT BRANDS AVAIL. FOR VIBE

Post by SeattleJeremy »

BILSTEIN simply does not have struts for Vibe/Matrix/Corolla. I also checked cars with similar suspension Toyota Camry, and Scion TC... nothing.

For struts that are drop in, without modification, the name brands for your car include ACDelco, KYB, and Monroe. As you said ACDelco's are KYB. And Monroe is known for it's smooth ride, not performance.

If your car has 80k+ miles on it, with the original struts, just replacing the struts with new ACD/KYB struts will make a huge improvement. I suggest doing that.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
jolt

Post by jolt »

Since BILSTEIN does not make struts or shocks for a Vibe, your not going to be putting those on. Of coarse you can do anything if you throw enough money and time at it. To make a set of BILSTEIN work on the Vibe, you would spend more than the car is worth.

Shock companies have different models of shocks to fit cars. Not all Monroe shocks are the same and not all KYB shocks are the same. On general reading and self experience, I would say the KYB shock is as firm or slightly firmer than the OEM shock. The Monroe shock is valved slightly softer then a new OEM shock/strut. I myself think that the Vibe rides to stiff with the 17" rims and will be putting on Monroe struts/shocks on when the time comes to change them.

The other thing to consider is that your car is ~9 years old. The struts/shocks have degraded over time and mileage. You can be sure that replacing them with any new shock is going to stiffen the car up from where it is at now.
SOME additional info. Im a bit spooked with the driving speeds on the high ways... 80 is the new 70 (speed limit)
If you in the slow lane you better be doing 80... if you pass yur doing 85-90... So I want better that oem
Shocks and struts...
Shocks/struts are not going to help with this problem.
Pr0230

Post by Pr0230 »

Interesting... Thank you both for your replies... BTW I have 50K miles on the car. Mostly highway.

AND I know the shocks will not make the new speeds traveled on the high ways any safer, but as You
Stated the car is 9years old... I want the suspension up to snuff (what ever that means) when I am traveling at those
Speeds... Next Year ( 6 days away). new tires, struts and shocks... Already did the brakes... New fan belt and radiator
Hoses....

Any opinion on Gabriel ULTRA’S. These also can be purchased for my car...
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Even with this low amount of miles, I think you are in for a treat with fresh suspension parts.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
bigdoug

Post by bigdoug »

I hit some pretty nasty potholes and have both front struts leaking now. Since the KYB (kill your bilsteins?) have a rebate that makes them about the same as monroes, price is not an issue.

But, from everything I've read, the KYBs are stiffer and harder than the Monroes, which mean better handling but harsher ride. And as we probably know, a Vibe's ride is already kinda bumpy and hard as it is, and we can feel the road better than a bigger car or SUV/Truck.

My choice would be mostly based on harshness of ride, I'd rather not feel the road as little as possible myself. Want to feel like I'm gliding over it on air.

I've also seen out there Gabriel (I've heard are decent, but they don't come in quick strut), Detroit Axle (which are really cheap and probably crap), Moog (more expensive than Monroe oddly enough), and FCS (a brand I've never heard of and is probably cheap as well). Likely not going to do any of those.