2009 - 2.4 lt- REAR BRAKE change tips

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Pr0230

2009 - 2.4 lt- REAR BRAKE change tips

Post by Pr0230 »

I have just changed my 2009 pontiac vibe - 2.4 L , front wheel drive -rear disk brakes ...

Here are some tips...

For all the youtube videos that show a push in caliper piston, this car has a WIND back caliper... AND - for those that have watched
videos that say you can do this without the wind back tool... Fa Ge Bout It.... you should get the wind back tool on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0122 ... UTF8&psc=1

You will need to use the RIGHT handed tool with the four tip dices in the upper right hand corner....Lubricate the threads on the tool B4 using...
Use the caliper grease you bought....

B4 you start winding the piston back in, CLEAN the piston bushing and head and coat the bushing with grease... Coat the tipoff a flat head screw driver with caliber grease and coat the bushing in between the bushing and piston... This will help the bushing from BINDING on the piston and ripping when winding back....

Dont do ANYTHING else B4 you wind the piston back... If you can't get the piston back you will NOT be able to put on NEW pads... Don't remove old brakes or anything B4 you compress the piston.

Winding back the piston- FIRST Break open the bleeder valve... and connect you brake fluid capture device... The valve should be OPEN...
Mount the wind back tool. As you screw in the piston (clock wise) you should see brake fluid enter your capture device tube... This is a good sign...
There are TWO parts to the wind back tool ( actually more) but when you wind the shaft of the tool in, the shaft may be under a lot of pressure... This will be a problem when you try to remove the tool....DO NOT unwind (counter clock wise) the tool... The BASE of the tool can be used to dismount the wind back tool... as you may NOT be able to unwind the piston to release the tool... get a crescent wrench and screw the BASE IN clockwise... this will loosen the tool to remove it....

Once the caliper has been pushed it enough, you can start replacing all brake parts....

NOTE= There are two different CALIPER clips on each brake.... They may look the same but the bigger of the two is on the BOTTOM of the caliper....
Make sure you replace the CORRECT clip in the right place...

I ordered ceramic brake pads from NAPA... They don't fit... If you order from napa GET the rear brake PREMIUM kit.... that comes with the correct pads and caliper clips... The INNER pad has a screech arm on the pad... If your new pads so not have this you have the wrong pads....

There are NO PAD CLIPS on the rear brake PADS.... PAD CLIPS... NOT CALPER CLIPS....

here is another site with more tips...

https://www.justanswer.com/pontiac/4zer ... s-fit.html

GOOD LUCK
Omnipony

Re: 2009 - 2.4 lt- REAR BRAKE change tips

Post by Omnipony »

Thank you so much for this post!

Last week I tried to change the rear brakes (pads and rotor) on my 2009 vibe 2.4L and failed miserably. I followed the video from here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGT9ghKb0uo&t , which was a BAD idea. They said just to use bottle nose pliers for turning and pressing the rear caliper cylinder. That worked horribly. I tried for hours and got blisters and everything. After reading your post, I paid $25 for wind back tool and it worked a treat today.

I've finished up the job today but have two lingering things:
(1) I didn't open the bleeder valves on the back. I just pressed the caliper cylinder with the brake fluid reservoir cap off. This is what I normally do with the front brakes as well. I shouldn't have gotten any air in since I didn't open the valve. Everything should be fine, right?

(2) While trying the horrible idea of using bottle nose pliers on the caliper cylinder, I created a small cut on the rubber protector on one of the cylinders. How important is it that I replace this?

Thanks!
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Omnipony wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:28 pm Thank you so much for this post!

Last week I tried to change the rear brakes (pads and rotor) on my 2009 vibe 2.4L and failed miserably. I followed the video from here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGT9ghKb0uo&t , which was a BAD idea. They said just to use bottle nose pliers for turning and pressing the rear caliper cylinder. That worked horribly. I tried for hours and got blisters and everything. After reading your post, I paid $25 for wind back tool and it worked a treat today.

I've finished up the job today but have two lingering things:
(1) I didn't open the bleeder valves on the back. I just pressed the caliper cylinder with the brake fluid reservoir cap off. This is what I normally do with the front brakes as well. I shouldn't have gotten any air in since I didn't open the valve. Everything should be fine, right?

(2) While trying the horrible idea of using bottle nose pliers on the caliper cylinder, I created a small cut on the rubber protector on one of the cylinders. How important is it that I replace this?

Thanks!
1) Yes.

2) Not imminent, but I would probably think about it as it will cause the piston to corrode, thus causing the caliper to eventually seize up.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
350kVibe

Post by 350kVibe »

I found this topic very informative with a lot of good feedback.. maybe it will help some of the people that have recently asked about brake replacement. *Bump*
2009 Vibe GT