Torque Bolt settings for brakes. 2009 vibe

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Pr0230

Torque Bolt settings for brakes. 2009 vibe

Post by Pr0230 »

My car is a 2009 vibe 2.4L. Disk brakes front and rear. 17” wheels.

I’ve tried to find the torque settings and here is what I found:

Torque specs are:
25 ft/lbs Caliper to Bracket
79 ft/lbs Assembly to knuckle

I understand the numbers but what part is the assembly and what part is the caliper I DONT GET...
I would assume the 17mm bolt gets the higher torque, simply cause it’s bigger...

The caliper piston assembly, removed with 14 mm bolts , gets torqued to ? 25 lbs. Y/N
the caliper bracket that holds the pads and removed by 17mm bolt, gets torqued to 79lbs? Y/N

Are the rear bolt torque settings the same? I believe both bolts in the back are 14 mm... SO

The REAR caliper piston assembly, removed with 14 mm bolts , gets torqued to ? XX lbs. Y/N
the REAR. caliper bracket that holds the pads and removed by 14MM bolt, gets torqued to XX? Y/N
jolt

Re: Torque Bolt settings for brakes. 2009 vibe

Post by jolt »

2009-2010 Vibe

Front Caliper Bolts (34N·m) 25 lb ft
Front Caliper Bracket Bolts (107N·m) 79 lb ft

Rear Caliper Bolts (Base Model) (35 N·m) 26 lb ft
Rear Caliper Bracket Bolts (Base Model) (63 N·m) 46 lb ft

Rear Caliper Bolts (AWD and GT Models) (27 N·m) 20 lb ft
Rear Caliper Bracket Bolts (AWD and GT Models) (58 N·m) 43 lb ft

The caliper bolts are the caliper slide pins. For the cost, just replace the slide pin bolts, bushings, dust boots, clean the bores up, and use the proper silicone based lube on the pins.

The caliper bracket bolts are to hold the bracket to the knuckle or spindle.

On the base models, the rears will require a special tool to push the caliper pistons back into their bores so the new brake pads can go on. See if the parts store can loan you the tool to push the rear pistons back into the caliper. The piston must be pushed and spun at the same time to retract the pistons into the rear calipers. Make sure that the piston dust boot does not get torn when spinning the piston. If it does, you will need to rebuild or replace the caliper. Using the tool will make this part of the job a lot easier to do.
Pr0230

Re: Torque Bolt settings for brakes. 2009 vibe

Post by Pr0230 »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!