05 Vibe AWD

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
DaRut

05 Vibe AWD

Post by DaRut »

Is the K-Member/Subframe on first gens the same as second gens? I have an 05 AWD and need the rear Subframe/K-Member that goes above the rear differential and find that there are more 09 and 11 parts in the salvage yards but no one is sure if they are different or not. Other then the fact that one is rear drums and one is rear disc and the fact there is a different motor (1.8 vs 2.3) wouldn't they stick with the same casting that worked in the first gens?
53Bowtie

Re: 05 Vibe AWD

Post by 53Bowtie »

DaRut wrote:Is the K-Member/Subframe on first gens the same as second gens? I have an 05 AWD and need the rear Subframe/K-Member that goes above the rear differential and find that there are more 09 and 11 parts in the salvage yards but no one is sure if they are different or not. Other then the fact that one is rear drums and one is rear disc and the fact there is a different motor (1.8 vs 2.3) wouldn't they stick with the same casting that worked in the first gens?
I cannot find visual proof that the rear sub-frame changed but the part numbers are different between the two gens. That being said, the part number could have changed for a long list of reasons that may or may not affect it "fitting" on your 05. I would recommend taking a tape measure and getting some rough estimates of distance between mounting bolts along with some pictures and compare the ones you find in the salvage yard to your 05 to see if its matches.....
Thomas

Josey (Jo-Jo) - 2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L Base, 139k and counting (Daily)
James - 2002 Reg Cab Silverado, few mods (Race Truck)
theant

Post by theant »

I'm also curious if you figured anything out about the fit of the 2nd-Gen k-frame to the earlier 1st-Gen? I also have a 2005 AWD that is in need of a new rear k-frame (among other things) and see the 09-10 models are far more available than any earlier ones. Short of knowing that someone has successfully done such a transplant I was reserved to purchase a new k-frame from Toyota Parts Store online at a much higher price. If you made any progress on this I'm sure I am not the only one who would appreciate the feedback!
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I know this thread is quite old, but I am adding this info for others in case they came across it...53Bowtie was correct. They are the same, but there is some sort of bracket causing them to have different part numbers.

Rear subframe can be replaced with one from the following vehicles

99-06 Celica GTS (GTS only as it had IRS, like the AWD Vibe
03-06 AWD Vibe/Matrix
09-10 AWD or GT/XRS Vibe/Matrix

All of these vehicles utilized the exact same rear subframe. car-part.com does not list these as interchangeable, but they indeed are. As these cars, and subframes age, it's nice to have this info available.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe