Front end droning

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Stevemo

Front end droning

Post by Stevemo »

Hi all,
My mile eater has developed a droning noise in the front end like a worn wheel bearing but I haven't determined that is the problem yet. I am pretty good and fixing things but not so great at diagnosing some problems.
So far I jacked up the right wheel and it seemed hard to rotate, then I jacked up the left and it rotated well so I went back to the right hand side to investigate it some more and it had loosened up and seemed to rotate well so I was at a bit of a loss. After that I tore out the front wheel well liners which have been rubbing on the tires for the past few years but that did not help with the sound. The droning seems to develop after I hit 40 km/hr (25 mph) and it is kind of worrisome so I'd like to figure it out. The sound can be heard when I'm on the gas and coasting.
Can this sound come from the CV axles or the transmission? It doesn't seem to be a typical worn wheel bearing where the wheel is wobbly when you lift up the car and start tilting the wheel. Front end is all original @ 250,000 miles and I do not swerve for pot holes. :mrgreen:
Cheers, Steve
jayoldschool

Re: Front end droning

Post by jayoldschool »

You're well overdue for wheel bearings with that mileage. Does the noise increase when you turn right or left at speed on a curve?
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YvKWGjmPKoc

ChrisFix is great and he has videos on how diagnose and fix many common automotive issues.
2009 Vibe Base
Stevemo

Post by Stevemo »

Hi guys,
Thank you for the replies. The sound doesn't change when turning but it is related to vehicle speed. I think it is a wheel bearing but they don't have any play in them or feel rough. The noise developed pretty quickly since the last fill-up and I work out of town so there was a high probability of the car becoming undrivable while away for work. The end result is that I am dumping the car at a garage for the week. I'll let you know what it turns out to be.
Cheers, Steve
Stevemo

Post by Stevemo »

Well, it ended up being the left front wheel bearing. I was thinking it was the right wheel bearing so I'm glad I didn't attempt to repair it myself. I was pretty surprised to find out that this car has the pressed in wheel bearings...that's one of the reasons I hated my VW. :twisted:
Steve
Hutchvibe

Post by Hutchvibe »

If you don't mind my asking, what does a shop charge to replace a wheel bearing? Independent shop or dealership?