Beefier suspension on a budget?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
bonnevibe

Beefier suspension on a budget?

Post by bonnevibe »

Suspension novice here!
I have modified my '07 Vibe to have a rear swing gate containing roughly 300lb in jerry cans, tools, and the steel construction. The rear end of the Vibe seems to be sagging a bit (maybe a lot). I am looking to lift the rear end while staying mechanically sound and on as small a budget as possible. I've looked into airbags or adjustable coil-overs but I'm not sure which way to go. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
-Bonenvibe
"The shortest distance between two points is under construction"

ImUrOBGYN

Re: Beefier suspension on a budget?

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Have you looked into airbags? Not the ones that make the Vibe hop on 3 wheels while you cruise the strip, but the ones made for just this type of situation? I know Firestone makes some and I'm sure there are others. Less expensive than I would expect, too.

If you really wanna go cheap, you purchase spring spacers. These are large, stiff rubber spacers made to go between a couple of the coils on a spring. This raises height and spring stiffness a bit.

That's all I got. :)

NO! Wait. You can make everything hanging on your VIbe out of carbon fiber. ;)
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
bonnevibe

Post by bonnevibe »

ImUrOBGYN wrote:Have you looked into airbags? Not the ones that make the Vibe hop on 3 wheels while you cruise the strip, but the ones made for just this type of situation? I know Firestone makes some and I'm sure there are others. Less expensive than I would expect, too.
ImUrOBGYN, Thank you. Are these bags universal, or am I seeking something specific? Very new to this. Will it weaken my suspension at all?

ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I believe the bags will be model specific. Some people like bags better. Once installed, and they shouldn't be difficult, you can adjust them for load. Cheaper bags will have manual fit for an air line, more expensive will have an onboard air compressor and regulators, etc.

I wish I could be more specific, but I honestly I have no direct experience and do not want to overstep or misinform.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
kaz03GT

Post by kaz03GT »

Look around this site they are about the best for vibe/matrix parts https://monkeywrenchracing.com/product- ... atrix0308/ . Not to many options out there for vibes and vibe gt"s.
bonnevibe

Post by bonnevibe »

Thank you for your replies, kaz03GT & ImUrOBGYN. I ended up buying some monroe struts with springs, and then fabricating a 1.5" aluminum spacer in the shape of the strut tower. Had to swap out the bolts on the struts but it sits a ton nicer, and because the spacer is above the shock I'm hoping it wont tense the spring up like some spacers might. Airbags would have been ideal, but they were tough to find and then they were pricey.
Wondering if anyone ever welds airbags to the axel as a suspension assist? Just a thought.

ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

(removed), I totally forgot about spacers between the actual strut and the tower. Duh. So disappointed with myself. lol
ImageImageImage