09 Vibe--parking brake light off/on in very cold weather?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
canadave

09 Vibe--parking brake light off/on in very cold weather?

Post by canadave »

I live in Edmonton and we just got hit with our first major cold snap--went from -5C to around -17C. I was driving our 09 Vibe to work yesterday, no problems. Parked in outdoor lot. Started the car to go home, parking brake light is on. Tried the parking brake, it fully moves, no problems, but brake light is on no matter what I set it to. Well, gotta go home somehow right? So I started driving on the highway. Just before reaching home, about 20 minutes in, brake light goes off. I had to go out a couple of times that evening, and the brake light would sometimes be on, sometimes off. Today the car started with it off, and about halfway into my trip to work, brake light came on.

Any ideas here? Could it simply be something relating to the cold snap? Not sure if I need to take it in or not. It'll be this cold for another few days at least.
2009 base Vibe, silver"
MacGyver

Re: 09 Vibe--parking brake light off/on in very cold weather?

Post by MacGyver »

On page 4-17 of the owner's manual, it makes it clear that warning light is not just for the parking brake, but for the entire braking system. Could be a short in the parking brake switch, but could very well be something else. Have it checked out ASAP.
2009 Vibe Base
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Did you check the brake fluid level? when was the fluid flushed the last time?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
canadave

Post by canadave »

Brought it in to be looked at--it was low brake fluid. Thanks all!
2009 base Vibe, silver"