03 awd replaced passenger axle. no front wheel engagement.

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
davesvibe

03 awd replaced passenger axle. no front wheel engagement.

Post by davesvibe »

Hello first time here. Tried to do a search for this and could not find it. I had a passenger side axle go bad. I replaced it. It snapped right in and I bolted everything back up. Now both front wheels spin by hand when the car is in park and when you put the car down. only the rear wheels engage when you hit the gas. Going to put the car back on the hoist and try to see what is going on.... Any one else have this happen when changing axles? 2003 awd automatic vibe.

Thanks for the help.
jolt

Re: 03 awd replaced passenger axle. no front wheel engagement.

Post by jolt »

Jack up only one front wheel off the ground and try spinning it by hand with the transmission in park. Now do the same with the other front wheel. Can you spin the tire by hand? Does only the side that you changed the axle on spin? Jack up both front wheels and sin one by hand. Does the other wheel spin in the opposite direction of the wheel that you are turning?
bowtieman427

Re: 03 awd replaced passenger axle. no front wheel engagement.

Post by bowtieman427 »

what is interesting about this is when I changed mine 2004 AWD Vibe I verified I had a bad axle with all 4 wheels off the ground. The driver side front would NOT spin at all the other wheels were spinning. Sure enough had a real bad CV joint replaced the whole axle with an AZ part I also had a bad Wheel bearing which may have killed the CV not sure but replaced that too and I assume it is working fine now. Runs smooth and no more clunck or grinding.