04 AWD CV Axle O/D and Speedometer

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
bowtieman427

04 AWD CV Axle O/D and Speedometer

Post by bowtieman427 »

Have a 04 AWD auto Vibe. Driving around noticed a bad vibration grinding noise from front end. took front wheels off checked things out and found out the CV axle on Driver front was broke. took is apart and it a pain getting the CV out of transmission. Put in new CV axle from AZONE and new wheel bearing .Put all back together now the Speedometer/Odometer do not work. Reads 0 MPH no matter what speed I am going and the Odometer not adding miles. I also do NOT have OverDrive O/D. Car will not go into overdrive. I click the button on the shifter and it will light up for O/D off I click again to engage and the light goes off as it should but does not engage.
It will not go into O/D at all. transmission shifts great. car drives great.
Please help what is going on ???
jolt

Re: 04 AWD CV Axle O/D and Speedometer

Post by jolt »

The simple guess is that the TRANSMISSION REVOLUTION SENSOR is disconnected, the wiring to it got damaged, or the sensor itself is damaged. Another guess is that fixing the speed sensor will fixed the OD. The OD will start to work because now the computer knows the car is moving and at what speed ii is going.
bowtieman427

Post by bowtieman427 »

I read a code of P0500 I think you are on the correct track. This is an AWD car with ABS do they still have a VSS of Transmission speed sensor. Also where are the located ?? Seems to be very little information out there on it or my searching is bad.
I had the brake light and ABS light on for about 2 yrs now. but this was not an issue until I changed now. This issue happened right after I put in the new CV axle on driver side. Notice right away no speedo no odometer reading and then got up to when got up to speed O/D not engaging. I bought a new VSS of ebay it has a gear on it but can NOT find where it plugs in. I am thinking even though it was listed as for AWD and FWD this is wrong. I bet it is a transmission speed sensor or other sensor that does the speedo and talks to ECU for O/D. I have no idea where it is on the AWD trans.
:cry:
jolt

Post by jolt »

Here, start with this:

http://madstyle1972.com/Repair/05/200o8c05/cip0500.pdf

then try this:

http://madstyle1972.com/Repair/40/200h0e0b/x040001.pdf

And like I said it could also be the wiring or connections for the sensor. I am not sure about the part you have with the gear on it. The part that you may be looking for might be more like this one here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Trans-Spee ... zp&vxp=mtr
bowtieman427

Post by bowtieman427 »

figured it out on the AWD they have ABS brakes and the speed sensor on the passenger side front was bad. I replaced it and I had my speedo back and O/D. I thought that was kind of weird but that was the issue. Thanks all for help glad issue has been resolved sorry it took so long for m e to repair very limited garage space and 10000 other things going on.