AWD Rear Struts

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
WindHarvester

AWD Rear Struts

Post by WindHarvester »

All,

Trying to get information on the rear strut assembly in my 2004 AWD Vibe before I take everything apart. I'm planning on replacing the struts all around on the car, as I'm at 150k and I believe the suspension is all original (Bought the car about 4k ago). Front drivers side is leaking for sure, rear passenger side spring looks like it might be broken near one end... Anyways, originally was thinking to go with Monroe Quick struts as I would prefer not to mess with spring compressors, but plan on doing this work my self. Front seems very straight forward/plenty of information on here/out on the web about it.

But I am a bit confused about the rear "strut assembly" for the AWD, I know it's different then for the FWD cars, I read in one thread here that it is a coil-over shock, instead of a strut, but I can't find anywhere else that says that. I have the appropriate "struts" picked out (MONROE 71375) and some moog springs to go with them, but what will I need to do to install them? Does it need to be pre-assembled? or does it all slide into place on the car? do I need a spring compressor? (I'm assuming I will..). I've never replaced suspension on a car before, but I'm quite handy and have all the tools I should need, I believe.

I'm just looking to restore OEM ride, not lowering or anything else... but any info helps! I've spent a while searching around here/google/matrix forums and have come up with frustratingly little info about the rear suspension for the AWD cars.

Thanks!
2004 AWD Vibe -- slowly being built into a soft adventure vehicle.
jolt

Re: AWD Rear Struts

Post by jolt »

I take it you have a gen1 Vibe. Here is info about removal, install, and torque specs. for the AWD. Download the link and extract the zip file. You will have two pdf files to view with info.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/66vpbx1 ... ockAWD.zip

If possible, I would just go with the Monroe Quick struts. You did read here about "Do Not Use the Nuts that come with the Monroe struts" because you will twist off the upper mounting studs/bolts. If you haven't read that yet, be sure to to so, it is on this forum board.
WindHarvester

Re: AWD Rear Struts

Post by WindHarvester »

jolt wrote:I take it you have a gen1 Vibe. Here is info about removal, install, and torque specs. for the AWD. Download the link and extract the zip file. You will have two pdf files to view with info.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/66vpbx1 ... ockAWD.zip

If possible, I would just go with the Monroe Quick struts. You did read here about "Do Not Use the Nuts that come with the Monroe struts" because you will twist off the upper mounting studs/bolts. If you haven't read that yet, be sure to to so, it is on this forum board.
Jolt,

Thank you! that is exactly the kind of information I was looking for!

I would like to go with the Monroe quickstruts, and maybe I still will for the front, but it seems that you can not get them for the rear of the AWD Vibe's. Monroe specifies the OEspectrum shock instead. I might look into buying the shocks and coilovers for the rear and getting them preassembled by a garage... but most likely I will just rent a spring compressor and do it my self. Which means I might just go with different struts all around, or possibly the OEspectrum all around.

I have read the info on here about not using the nuts that come with the Monroe Struts, and was planning to use the stock nuts that come on my car instead.

Cheers! and I guess if anyone has any opinions on strut/spring brands let'em rip!
2004 AWD Vibe -- slowly being built into a soft adventure vehicle.