Click-clack sound rear GT pads while reversing slowly..now seizing.

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
YotaGT

Click-clack sound rear GT pads while reversing slowly..now seizing.

Post by YotaGT »

I noticed a strange knocking/clacking sound while reversing my car, after a full brake pad change and service of the calipers (DIY).
I chalked it up to be the emergency brakes not adjusted properly, so I dug into them and noticed they looked and operated normally.
I adjusted them, spun the rotors and everything seemed fine. It was only once the calipers were back on that noticed the issue.
One of the rear calipers I replaced, the older one is the one seeming to have the issue.

It started out as the pads sort of flopping back instead of sliding sideways on the pin system the GT rear calipers have. Thinking back on this, maybe these pads (Raybestos) have slightly larger holes for the pins and the slop allows them to sort of knock back and touch the rotor when the piston is disengaged.
I took it off, did not see anything wrong at the time, and reinstalled the caliper. The new caliper ever so slightly touched the rotor on occasion, the older one would hop on off causing sporadic grazing of the rotor, skimming it slightly which did affect the speed of the wheel when spun.

About a week later, I noticed a strange smell... and again noticed it the second day. Sure enough it was the older rear brake, much more heat, dust, and the smell coming from it. I took off my wheel today; it's not seized but the paid is pressing right up against the rotor, completely inhibiting free spin.

It seems obvious that it could be a problem with the caliper, and if so, I can go and buy an off the shelf one for about $70 and install it myself.
I still want to ask you seasoned Vibe owners if I'm missing something. Are these two separate issues? A malfunctioning caliper piston, and wide brake pad holes causing the noise?
At least a new caliper comes with new guide pins that could provide a tighter fit.

Anyone experience click-clacking rear disc brakes before?
Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
YotaGT

Re: Click-clack sound rear GT pads while reversing slowly..now seizing.

Post by YotaGT »

I kept the old rubber for the caliper as these were in good shape (around 4-8 years old IIRC) and replacements were not easily found.
I cleaned and properly lubed the pins and the thick metal collar pieces for the pins. Everything moved smoothly and correctly. I had inspected the movement and relubed the pins when I first tore them down due to the knocking sound.
This time around, possibly after the brake had heated up so much, I noticed the thick metal bits around the pins were hesitant to slide, but gave and move smoothly but as if the lube is thicker now.
I want to be crystal about the details, but the pads still press right up against the rotor, and have to be lined up perfectly to be put in place for the caliper to be bolted up... so the piston must be pushing out too far.

I have read that this could be caused by the brake hose failing and collapsing from the inside. I have the car up, I think I'm going to go buy a new caliper in a few hours.
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Hope you figure the issue out and keep us posted.

Something I have been thinking about since I did my rear brakes a few months ago is the caliper grease that I used. Used some Permatex Caliper and pin grease in the big jar that I have had for a long time. Can't remember the exact title of it and is not close at hand to check. It's a Greenish translucent color. Think I have read that we actually need to use a fully synthetic 100% silicone grease that is more compatible with the rubber O rings and boots. They can swell with other greases and cause hang ups and sticking.

Good luck.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
jolt

Post by jolt »

You did flush the brake fluid until it came out clear? Was the old fluid discolored in any way? The only thing that retracts the pistons in the calipers is the piston seal and that will pull the piston back about ~0.004"; or about the thickness of a sheet of paper. If there are any sediments, rust partials, etc.. in the piston bore or if the piston seal worn; your piston will not pull back and you will have higher brake pad drag. Just because the caliper slides on the mounting pins and you can force the piston in does not mean the caliper is working properly. If the brake fluid is discolored and you do not what to take a chance that the brake job to fail, you should rebuild or replace the calipers. You did get all the anti-rattle springs and anti-squeal shims back in and in the proper locations?
YotaGT

Post by YotaGT »

Hi, Thanks for posting and offering such good advice!
After troubleshooting yesterday, I would consider the sound to be more of a tick and a knock rather than a clack, but that's not important hahaha!

10Vibe I use CRC Synthetic Brake and Caliper grease. It appears I used Never-Seez on the old caliper pins and the metal cylinders the pins fit into on my last inspection, I grabbed it instead of the CRC by habit. It's not a good idea for application to moving parts as it stiffens and dries out into a clay like paste.
I noticed this is what was likely causing the smaller of the two cylinder blocks to move so sluggishly through the caliper, and I noticed a hole in that boot.

Using a c-clamp, I was able to compress the caliper piston slightly, allowing some free movement but not much.
So... f%#k it :) I went ahead and bought the caliper and swapped them out, works great. However, the other rear brake assembly (replaced with new during the summer) is making that knock/tick sound whil slowly reversing.

I did check the brake pad pin holes, and they look properly sized. I'm going to ask my mechanic, but for now, now more brake drag!! :D I got an alignment last week, after swapping the front struts out and damn having my zippy car back to itself is awesome!

Jolt, my brake fluid was clear and discolored from before this years brake job, still good from PO. Bleeding the brakes during the initial change relieved one or two small bubbles, that's it.
I agree that the caliper is likely deteriorated in some way, I rather have the peace of mind of having two new rear calipers for such a bargain price. It only takes about 10-15minutes to swap.
YotaGT

Post by YotaGT »

So I realized how the rear brakes work, and the reason for my brake seizing up and possible creating that noise, was because I mistakenly used Never-Seez on the metal slides that the whole caliper moves about on. Never-Seez does not do well with motion and toughens up over time.
I likely applied some to the other side as well, which could explain why it retains some of the clicking/knocking even now.
Replacing the second OG rear caliper was still a good idea, now I can have the peace of mind that all 4 of my calipers are less than a decade old.

Easy fix on the never-seez, I'm going to unbolt both rear calipers and pop the slides out, clean everything out and reapply CRC high-temp synthetic brake lubricant.
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Using a disk brake caliper tool kit is pretty essential to changing the rear brakes for turning in or compressing the piston. The auto parts stores that you purchase the brake pads from usually have these kits that you can use for free, but it is nice to have one on hand if you are like me and sometimes start and stop projects late at night from parts that have been sitting around.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... aliper+kit

These rear caliper pistons are "turn or twist in" pistons, not the compression type pistons. Edit: It has to do with the emergency/parking brake.
Last edited by 10vibe on Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
GODZILLA

Post by GODZILLA »

Im replacing my L/rear caliper & pads today.Smelt something burning & the rim was hot. Found the inner brake pad was like new & the outer pad was really worn down.$117.68 for a rebuilt caliper & pads from auto zone. The R/rear was replaced under warranty for a leak years back.I think I have under 50k miles on it now.