Changing Axles question

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
kwalkord

Changing Axles question

Post by kwalkord »

I can't seem to find any info on actually changing the axles, so I thought I'd ask. Been having a vibration (before and after new tires) and thought I'd get these changed. Is there anything different on the Vibes than on other cars? I just changed the axles on my wifes Odyssey and it was pretty straightforward: get the stuff out of the way, pop the axles out. Just trying to look ahead so I don't run into any surprises. Thank you.
jayoldschool

Re: Changing Axles question

Post by jayoldschool »

Axles probably aren't the cause of the vibration. If you're sure it's not the tires/wheels (I'd have them checked on a different balancer), I would check wheel bearings, struts, ball joints, etc. Of course, if you have a torn axle boot, you may be on the right track.

Should be the same as the Oddy: brakes off, disconnect lower BJ, swing spindle over, remove nut, push axle out, pry axle out of trans.
kwalkord

Post by kwalkord »

Thanks. The vibration happens when I am at certain speeds, ONLY when I am on the gas. I let off the gas, the vibration stops. I have already replaced one of the wheel bearings. Could be the other, but this is the exact thing that was happening to my wifes Odyssey, and the new axles completely got rid of it. The car has over 150,000 miles, so it's probably due anyways.
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

The bearing needs to be done anyways, so go ahead and do that one that hasn't been changed. I'd still re-check the balance, and if the bearing and balance doesn't do it, and everything else in the front end is good, axle time. Manual trans? Vibe only on accel can be bad... ever change the fluid?
kwalkord

Post by kwalkord »

It did it on the old set of tires as well as the new ones, which is why I'm leaning away from the balance issue. It's an automatic. Transmission fluid has been changed. I mainly feel it in the steering wheel, which is why I'm thinking front-end and not motor/tranny related. It only does it at highway speeds. Very smooth and no issue accelerating at any other speeds. You're right, should probably do the bearing while everything is apart also.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Check tie rods and ball joints. Were the old tires cupped or worn oddly? Is the steering straight at 10 and 2 o'clock position when you are going down a straight road? These are signs of bad tie rods and/or ball joints. When was the last time you had a front end alignment done? My old villager van at 115,000 miles had two bad tie rod ends and one bad ball joint.
pwyu1969

Post by pwyu1969 »

Kwalkord did you ever figure out if it was the cv axel? Just curious.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

pwyu1969 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:05 am Kwalkord did you ever figure out if it was the cv axel? Just curious.
tbh, they haven't been on here in nearly 2 years so doubt you'll get a response.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe