Struts for a 2003

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
ji1m2

Struts for a 2003

Post by ji1m2 »

My situation is i'm looking for some front struts to replace the existing ones on my vibe. And i'm having a difficult time figuring out what struts I should purchase. I'm checking sites like ebay and amazon, finding plenty of monroe and kyb, some fcs and a few others like sensen and gabriel. It's hard to know which brand will work and fit best. I just want my vibe to drive smooth again. Now I did find a pair of struts http://apxautoparts.com/sensen-front-pa ... ranty.html that i'm sort of interested in via amazon. But i'm not ready to commit yet. Still thinking things over. Any thoughts?
ehoff121

Re: Struts for a 2003

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to genvibe.

Based on posts over the years, KYB is the OEM strut.

Many have used the Monroe, but there have been reported issues with over-torquing the bolts when using OEM torque spec.

Haven't seen Sensen or Gabriel discussed before.

Tokico have been mentioned.

It would be worth your time to search the forums for the strut brand names...
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

If your car is lowered, the Tokiko blues are generally recommended.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Sensen is an economy brand, you don't want those.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
YotaGT

Post by YotaGT »

I recently purchased KYB Strut-Plus assemblies for the front, and have been really happy with the quality, stiffer than I expected. They are the model replacement for OEM spec KYB Excel-G strut assemblies of the past.

I would like to replace my rear struts (GT), and I see KYB generally sells the dampener.. not a quick strut.
What's the consensus on what to go with for the rears?

I'd prefer not to assemble my own struts, and the Gabriel and SenSen quick-s look cheap-o!
jolt

Post by jolt »

The rears are not struts but are coil over shocks. I believe Monreo owns Gabriel, or they use to own them, I am not a 100% sure on that now. In general, the Monreo's are softer, smoother riding then the KYB's are. If you put KYB on the front then I would stick with KYB for the rear too.
bowtieman427

Post by bowtieman427 »

I put in Monroes in the front and have had no issues they work fine so far. Look to see if anyone is offering a rebate when I got the Monroes basically got the rear shocks for free because of the rebates they had.
YotaGT

Post by YotaGT »

So as far as going with OEM spec for the rears... the offering by KYB does need to be collected and assorted.
I bought two rear Gas struts Part # 344-612 KYB, the KYB SM5382 Mount Kit containing the washer/bearing/rubber.
I settled on MOOG springs as a good OEM level replacement (some have said they are a bit stiffer than OEM).

..and I went to my local Toyota for the insulator, Top mount bracket, and strut bumper. I did pick up the KYB Strut Boot kit (SB108 I believe), although reviews said the universal fit is mediocre. I'll see how that turns out.