2004 GT Accel/Decel

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
morrisangelo

2004 GT Accel/Decel

Post by morrisangelo »

I'm experiencing an odd condition as I drive my GT on the road at 40 mph or more.

As I accelerate to and thru 40, I can feel the car pullling to the right ever so slightly, and when I leave off the gas, I feel it want to wander to the left. It isn't much, and it doesn't feel dangerous to me, but it is noticeable and annoying.

Am I looking at potentially sloppy front lower controls arms causing this? They feel tight when the car is off the ground, but I obviously can't replicate the car's natural weight on these.

Thanks,
Harvey

PS: All new KYB stock struts, linkage rod, new Firestone Firehawk tires, and an alignment. 116k miles.
jolt

Re: 2004 GT Accel/Decel

Post by jolt »

Here you go:

http://ask.cars.com/2008/07/torque-steer.html

and

http://www.aa1car.com/library/torque_steer.htm

Under the last part of "CURING TORQUE STEER", pay close attention to the last line in that section.
morrisangelo

Post by morrisangelo »

Quite familiar with torque steer....I don't think this is it. The pulling right/drifting left is happening under very light throttle response in accel and decel scenarios. I can't believe this is normal behavior, and my son's 2007 Vibe doesn't do this.
Harvey
jolt

Post by jolt »

O.K. then be sure to check tie rods and lower ball joints. Check both while the car is on the ground so there is some load on the parts. It takes two people, one the steer the wheel back and forth, and the other to get under and watch the parts for movement or play. Next, jack car up and put a pry bar between the lower control arm and the spindle and see if you get any play between the two when you pry.

You did replace the upper strut mount bearing? Make sure all that is tight too.
morrisangelo

Post by morrisangelo »

Thanks, Jolt. I'll run those two tests on the car this weekend with my brother. It definitely feels like something is sloppy allowing it to wander/pull. Strangely, no clunks, squeaks, or anything. A very quiet front end. I'm guessing it's a little play somewhere in the front.

Additionally, I can get the steering wheel to jerk when I stab the brakes & when I hard-shift the manual. Might be related.

Upper strut mounts were replaced with the struts about 3 months ago.
jcharles00

Post by jcharles00 »

Bumping this thread - I'm having a similar problem as OP. ('03 vibe GT here, ~190k miles) I know my LCAs are worn, so it's a definite probability, just curious if anyone else has experienced this and solved the problem.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

jcharles00 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:01 am Bumping this thread - I'm having a similar problem as OP. ('03 vibe GT here, ~190k miles) I know my LCAs are worn, so it's a definite probability, just curious if anyone else has experienced this and solved the problem.
suspension parts are well worn at this point. might as well replace all suspension (if the car is in good shape). I'd also check tire pressure, balance and wear. Unevenly worn tires can be enough to make the car want to pull one way or the other.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe