Front end creaks and pops

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
HMPower

Front end creaks and pops

Post by HMPower »

I've noticed an issue in the past couple weeks with creaking/popping sounds from the front end at low speed, like maneuvering in a parking lot (or drive thru :).
My first thought was a strut issue, but I had them replaced just about 20,000 miles ago, so that wouldn't be my first guess. I raised the front wheels and checked for movement, but there was none - so not thinking the ball joints either.
Any suggestions on what to check next? I've got about 107k miles on it now.
2005 Neptune Blue FWDMoon & TunesPower Pkg.
vibrologist

Re: Front end creaks and pops

Post by vibrologist »

what kind of struts did you get? Did they replace the strut mounts as well?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Could also be ball joints, etc. Need to check them with the car sitting normally on the suspension. Most shops will do a free inspection.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Chiadog wrote:Could also be ball joints, etc. Need to check them with the car sitting normally on the suspension. Most shops will do a free inspection.
I agree with that. My hunch is that the strut bearing is bad. Either it's a cheap new one, which happened to me once, or an old worn one.
If its the lower ball joint you could get an injection kit and put some synthetic grease in the joints. It's like a hypodermic needle that punctures the rubber boot.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
HMPower

Post by HMPower »

They replaced the strut mounts too, but it was Pep Boys, so who knows what cheap brand they used. The struts themselves are Monroe.
I'll have my local shop check it out and advise. I'll let you know what it was!
2005 Neptune Blue FWDMoon & TunesPower Pkg.
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

I'm having a similar noise from the right front under braking. Put the car on the lift, checked the BJ, the control arm, the sway end link, couldn't find anything. Took the caliper off, checked the sliders, cleaned and lubed the pad mount shims. It still sounds the exact same. I'm thinking it's the strut bearing. It makes a strange crunchy noise when I'm almost stopped. Also, if I'm at low speed, and go over a dip, there is a pronounced squeak/grind as the suspension compresses.

Sound like a strut bearing?
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I read through this thread and chose it as the closest to my question.

Is it normal to hear a metallic "clanking" noise when I am fully stopped with the steering wheel turned as far to either the left or the right as possible and holding it there as I accelerate? I've checked and don't have any grease staining so I don't think there is any problem with my inner or outer CV boots. The sound is as though I am asking the car to accelerate from an unnatural steering position (ie: before doing a donut). Any obvious diagnosis from the smart people on this board? I really don't want to put any money into the car, nor waste my local mechanic's time checking something I have no intention of fixing.

PS: Farewell Conchata Ferrell. Thanks for taking years off of my life.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

It's possible to have a CV joint wear without boot failure. Could also be an A frame bushing.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

...........crickets chirping............. anybody else want to chime in? "Hello, hello, hello..........echo, echo, echo........now batting Manny Mota......"
jolt

Post by jolt »

Caretaker wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:41 am I really don't want to put any money into the car, nor waste my local mechanic's time checking something I have no intention of fixing.
Why ask here if you have no intentions of fixing it? The crickets here are not going to waste their time either. It is not clear what you are describing; does it make the noise when stopped with the steering wheel turned all the way both left and right? Does it only make the noise only when accelerating? Does it make the noise in both directions? What changes the noise? Is the noise speed related to the wheels? Is the noise speed related to the engine RPM? From the little bit that you have described, the one number one answer was already given - CV joints. Other possible causes, depending on more information, is the power steering pump, pump drive belt system, the steering rack, rusted rotor backing plates, lower A frame arm, struts, heat shields, motor mounts, etc........

Just a noisy cricket here ;)
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Why answer if you don't want to help would be the better question. Sorry if the Airplane reference was lost on you. I think the explanation of my noise was easily understandable.