how much play is OK in CV Joints

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
dazle1

how much play is OK in CV Joints

Post by dazle1 »

In 50 years of repair Ive never come across this. Searched the board but found no answer. I was changing the oil and trans fluid with the tires on ramps and grabbed the axles to ck for front to back play and they both moved considerably yet the vibe drives fine, no vibration. It has been my experience with all other autos Ive owned that ANY movement in the axles, ever so slight causes vibration when driving; even replaced an axle that vibrated when new and had to be replaced. So my question, is this common on Vibes or unique? 2nd Q, Should I replace them or just leave it alone?
2004 Vibe automatic 185k
gtv237

Re: how much play is OK in CV Joints

Post by gtv237 »

Are you talking in-and-out play or up-and-down? Some cars will have a little in-and-out play, It all depends on how tight the shaft splines are in the outer joint and the placement of the snap ring.

Up-and-down play could be a problem. If either joint moves you could have a loose output shaft bearing or wheel bearing. If the shaft moves then a cv joint could be on its way out.

Generally speaking though, a small amount of play is acceptable.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

gtv237 wrote:Are you talking in-and-out play or up-and-down? Generally speaking though, a small amount of play is acceptable.
2X !
How many miles /years on the CV joints/axles?
dazle1

Post by dazle1 »

Thanks for your response. As I stated, front to back, not in and out. I've never try to move the axle up and down because laying on your back you get the most torque moving the axle front to back where even a slight movement would be perceptible. Did say I've been doing this for nearly 50 years. Haven't owned the vibe long so I don't know the mileson the axles, not familiar with vibes but every other auto I've owned this much play would be rattling down the road, don't know if this is something special about vibes or just this auto. Inclined to leave it alone, if it's not broke don't fix it. It's just hard to believe no vibration with this much play.
dazle1

Post by dazle1 »

Btw, I have noted some posts on this forum where people r ck,ing their play with the wheels off the ground, that's incorrect. With the wheels hanging you introduce play in the CV joints. Axles should only be ck'd with the tires supported just as when driving, that's why I noted mine were on ramps.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

dazle1 wrote:Btw, I have noted some posts on this forum where people r ck,ing their play with the wheels off the ground, that's incorrect. With the wheels hanging you introduce play in the CV joints.
Good point!
From my perspective, All CV Joints are the same. Too much slop is too much slop regardless of make or model, generally speaking. If you know the joints are loose/sloppy, replace them.