Beef up the rear?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Plcd22

Beef up the rear?

Post by Plcd22 »

Looking for ideas on "beefing up the rear end" of my 03 base model with about 160K miles 5spd man.
Reason: I use it for a work vehicle and typically carry about 300lbs of tools/gear in the back cargo area! There is a noticeable 2" drop when loaded and this can't be good for the suspension!
I also need to do this as cheap as possible :)
03 Base Model Vibe - 5spd man, manual windows & locks, only thing powered is the mirrors :D
Bought it in March 2016 with 153k for $2000 - for a work vehicle because of the cargo space, but I am really liking it for more than just work!
SeattleJeremy

Re: Beef up the rear?

Post by SeattleJeremy »

When was the last time you replaced the struts? Typical life of the rear struts is 100,000 miles. However, heavy loads would reduce lifespan. Have you tried replacing the rear struts with new OE quality ones?
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Plcd22

Post by Plcd22 »

SeattleJeremy wrote:When was the last time you replaced the struts? Typical life of the rear struts is 100,000 miles. However, heavy loads would reduce lifespan. Have you tried replacing the rear struts with new OE quality ones?
I don't have any idea... Just got it in March :shock:
03 Base Model Vibe - 5spd man, manual windows & locks, only thing powered is the mirrors :D
Bought it in March 2016 with 153k for $2000 - for a work vehicle because of the cargo space, but I am really liking it for more than just work!
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

How much weight you throwing back there approximately? Have you looked into airbags for the rear? Can be done very cost effectively and sounds like it would be a good match. Easy to install right inside the spring usually. Not sure on Vibe specifics, however. Firestone, I think, may make a inexpensive pair. Hopefully, someone with a bit more xp with this on the Vibe/matrix will chime in.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
Plcd22

Post by Plcd22 »

ImUrOBGYN wrote:How much weight you throwing back there approximately? Have you looked into airbags for the rear? Can be done very cost effectively and sounds like it would be a good match. Easy to install right inside the spring usually. Not sure on Vibe specifics, however. Firestone, I think, may make a inexpensive pair. Hopefully, someone with a bit more xp with this on the Vibe/matrix will chime in.
About 300 pounds
jolt

Post by jolt »

In the past I have items like in this link to raise saggy cars. They are cheap and easy to install. If they do what you want, then good enough. If they do not work for you then you are not out much time or money.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=rub ... rmvSB=true

You do not want these to be loose in the spring coils or they will fall out. Get a coil spring spreader to open the gap in the spring before installing the dog bones. You should be able to find the rubber dog bones at a local auto parts store.
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

jolt wrote:In the past I have items like in this link to raise saggy cars. They are cheap and easy to install. If they do what you want, then good enough. If they do not work for you then you are not out much time or money.

You do not want these to be loose in the spring coils or they will fall out. Get a coil spring spreader to open the gap in the spring before installing the dog bones. You should be able to find the rubber dog bones at a local auto parts store.
I almost mentioned these. I've used them before but to give me added lift, not carry extra weight. I had an old MKI Supra I used to put these on, swap out my rear tires for these beefy lugged Firestones and head out into the desert when I lived in Vegas. I actually had to pull my buddy's S10 out more than once. I got places his little new S10 couldn't. haha I do knock a hole in my exhaust once but it was easily repaired and sounded kinda awesome in the meantime. lol

Anyway, I'd try those first like he mentioned. Too cheap to pass up and might help you out until you find a safer, better handling and more long term solution.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
Plcd22

Post by Plcd22 »

jolt wrote:In the past I have items like in this link to raise saggy cars. They are cheap and easy to install. If they do what you want, then good enough. If they do not work for you then you are not out much time or money.

When I click that link it just takes me to a generic Ebay search...? And this is the link in my browser: http://m.ebay.com/sch/items/?isRefine=t ... mwBanner=1
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Did you scroll down to the various spacers? It's just a link to an Ebay search for "rubber coil spring spacers".
ImageImageImage
Plcd22

Post by Plcd22 »

ImUrOBGYN wrote:Did you scroll down to the various spacers? It's just a link to an Ebay search for "rubber coil spring spacers".
Yeah scrolled all the way down = still a generic "item" search... I was able to get there with some "creativity" :)

But when I put my vehicle in then - no results... I guess just measuring it and getting the matching size should work...?
jolt

Post by jolt »

In the past these rubber dog bones came in two lengths, a short (front) and a long (rear). If memory serves me right, I think the shorts were 1.5" long and the others were 2.5" to 3.0" in length. I would also guess that the Vibe would use the shorter ones on the rear but you need to measure that for yourself. Also check that you have room between the spring and the shock for these to fit.

Putting these spacers in will raise the back of the car but will also stiffen the springs. The easy way to think about a coil spring as that it is nothing more then a torsion bar wrapped into a coil. Like any torsion bar, the shorter the bar is the harder it is to twist. By putting these spacers in, you are taking out a coil of movement from the spring or shorting the torsion bar. This in turn makes the spring stiffer which will hold the car up under load and will make the car stiffer at the rear when unloaded.

The link was an example but here is another link:
https://www.amazon.com/Superior-18-1601 ... ng+spacers

I do not recommend the metal spring spacers because they have no give to them and could damage the spring.