Suspension performance upgrades

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Sinusoidal

Suspension performance upgrades

Post by Sinusoidal »

I have ~180k on my car. The shocks need replacing (not too bad but..) and I am going to replace them with Tokico blue shocks. I am going to Install Eibach pro springs. I ordered a rear sway bar. I put the rear sway bar on and I am happy with the noticeable improvement. There is some unwanted pitching transferred to the front of the car (very minor) but I feel new shocks would eliminate this feedback. I wish I could install all parts in independent stages and provide feedback on each change but I am not willing to install the struts with stock springs and then do it again with new springs (sorry). My car is equipped with aftermarket rims and 215/45/17 tires. The tires made a nice improvement in handling by themselves. The tires did degrade the ride of the car especially on sharp bumps (road to bridge transitions). It is obvious GM/Toyota designed the tires to be part of the suspension for NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness).

I am a mature driver that does not want a poor balanced car that is rough as a daily driver. I do like a car that handles well. I never thought I would keep this car this long but I just really like it. I will update everyone on my analysis. I will take before and after pictures so stay tuned!
lannvouivre

Re: Suspension performance upgrades

Post by lannvouivre »

I had Tokicos with my stock springs. The Tokicos are still better than the stocks at stopping the action of the springs, so they still improve the right regardless.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I'm on Tokico blues w/stock springs, as well. Definitely an improvement. Gotta get these damn new springs on :roll:
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Where are you located again, my dearest obstetrician?
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Way closer than I used to be but still pretty far, if I recall correctly. Not so far that you still can't visit me twice a year, though. ;) :D

Anyway, being a bit more serious... College Station, TX.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Oh, that is slightly too far for a day trip. I was going to offer to break them down for you and stuff. If I can hold on to this job (and not walk in on my boss when he's using the women's restroom with the door open and the light off and get fired like at my last one), some Saturday you could drive up to Andrews and we can get it done and even do an alignment, maybe.
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

That's a very nice offer. But it's like a six and a half hour drive just to Andrew! :shock: And I'd still have to drive back! (At that point, I could've drove to Colorado! ;) lol)

The thing I stall on (other than the full schedule of settling in still, that's about done, but now it's hotter than (removed) in the garage :roll: ) is having to goto an autoparts store and borrow their crappy compressors. That, and nobody here to hang out with that'll point and laugh when I skin a knuckle. haha Also, as you mentioned, an alignment. I don't have the connections for those hook ups here like I used to so I'll need to find an alignment shop that can be trusted with some car guys in it.
ImageImageImage
RonB

Post by RonB »

The thing I stall on (other than the full schedule of settling in still, that's about done, but now it's hotter than (removed) in the garage :roll: ) is having to goto an autoparts store and borrow their crappy compressors.
Have you looked at Harbor Fright? They have a strut spring compressor for $65 that actually works pretty well. I designed one similar ~30 years ago, but didn't build it due to lack of welding skills. Just as well; my design didn't have the safety features of this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/single-act ... 43753.html
Oh, and up-and-down is side-to-side in their picture.
Regards,
RonB