Monroe strut mount bolt breaking

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Glenpointe

Monroe strut mount bolt breaking

Post by Glenpointe »

Hi all,
2003 Pontiac Vibe with 100K miles

I'm replacing the original struts (all four corners) with Monroe quick struts (purchased from advance auto parts). The rear went smoothly. However, the front gave me a problem. I set my torque wrench to 28 ft lbs, right away, I snapped the first bolt. I thought my torque wrench is out of wack, so I went back to the store to purchase a new strut mount and rented their torque wrench and the spring compressor.

To make it short, with a new torque wrench, I broke two out of the six bolts. My question is, is 28 ft lbs is the correct torque specs for the strut mount? or Monroe used low quality grade bolts? Should I lower the torque? Any advice.

Thanks,
jolt

Re: Monroe strut mount bolt breaking

Post by jolt »

The answer to all three of your questions is; Yes, Yes, and Yes. If you check here, you will see threads about this. You are not the first person to have this happen to. Other here just used the old bolts and nuts over after breaking some of the new ones, or they just reduce the torque on the new bolts. You must not have used the "search" here before asking.
Glenpointe

Post by Glenpointe »

Is those top three strut mount bolts serviceable? Look like they welded to the mount. I used Monroe quick struts on my SUV and Pontiac Vibe, but won't buy them again.
jolt

Post by jolt »

After doing a quick search....read this:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=43757&p=499942&hil ... ts#p499942
Glenpointe

Post by Glenpointe »

Got two new front Monroe quick struts. This time, I added a little lockite and torqued it to 22ft lbs.

29ft lbs is way too high Monroe upper strut bolts. OEM got to be using harden steel studs.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

29ft lbs is way too high Monroe upper strut bolts. OEM got to be using harden steel studs.
Glenpointe: Thank you very much for relating your experience. It is very useful.

One question of clarification: What is the source of the torque recommendation of 28 lbs/ft? GM/Toyota, Monroe, or a manual such as Haynes?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I've heard this happen TOO MANY TIMES w/Monroes. Why are people still buying this crap? Anyway, I truly hope they hold up for you, now. Sucks to get bad parts.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

The aftermarket nuts are also usually lock nuts. Which I never use. I always reuse factory hardware and snug. If you want to be really picky you could use blue thead locker but factory didn't use it so I don't.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

ImUrOBGYN wrote:I've heard this happen TOO MANY TIMES w/Monroes. Why are people still buying this crap? Anyway, I truly hope they hold up for you, now. Sucks to get bad parts.
I get your point , but:
I want softer springs at normal ride height. To my knowledge the only way to get softer springs is buying Monroe Quick Struts. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Glenpointe

Post by Glenpointe »

28.8 ft lbs for upper strut mount is from Toyota/GM service manual. However, Monroe quick strut mount bolt will break at around 26ft lbs. I wish Monroe fixes this issues by using harden steel studs. Yes, Monroe struts provide softer ride, but many aftermarket struts also provide softer ride. For the money you spend, you would expect higher quality from Montoe. Will not buy from them again.
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

vibrologist wrote:
ImUrOBGYN wrote:I've heard this happen TOO MANY TIMES w/Monroes. Why are people still buying this crap? Anyway, I truly hope they hold up for you, now. Sucks to get bad parts.
I get your point , but:
I want softer springs at normal ride height. To my knowledge the only way to get softer springs is buying Monroe Quick Struts. Please correct me if I am wrong.
As far as easily available options go, you're probably right. :(
I went the other way with my suspension, so I can't rightly say.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage