What is a good alternative to OEM sway bar links for 1G Vibe GT?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
YotaGT

What is a good alternative to OEM sway bar links for 1G Vibe GT?

Post by YotaGT »

I need to replace mine and would prefer to order them from eBay. Is there any brands that stand out, I'd like something durable for a stock setup but not quite $70 each OEM.

I saw [these](http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-12-Corolla-M ... 6A&vxp=mtr) , but no real justification for the jump in price over the $20 models.

Also, and I will make a separate thread, but where can I get a OEM exhaust flange donut gasket? They are >$70 from dealer, and I think I saw one for $65 online. Any leads would be appreciated!

-Sam
lannvouivre

Re: What is a good alternative to OEM sway bar links for 1G Vibe GT?

Post by lannvouivre »

Try rockauto. It's going to either be FEL-PRO 61190 or FEL-PRO 61106 (there's one behind the manifold, and another between the muffler and the resonator).

The main reason to spend more on sway bar links would be to have rubber boots that last longer. ACDelco, Beck/Arnley, and MOOG are all good. I have one ACDelco link and one random NAPA link, and the ACDelco one has held up far better.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Vortec

Post by Vortec »

2nd on the Rockauto. I'll be replacing my GF's links with Moogs soon and found them on there for much cheaper than OEM stuff. I've never been disappointed with Moog stuff.
2009 Vibe GT (mine), 2003 Vibe GT (gf's)
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Vortec wrote:I've never been disappointed with Moog stuff.
During a front end rebuild on a 78 Dodge 1 ton van, I found that Moog apparently totally changed the part design of an idler arm without changing the part number. I had initially ordered one from RockAuto by mistake in a big order, so I ordered a second one.

When it it came, it looked completely different and not as strong in terms of how thick it was. I called RockAuto and they promptly sent another. It was the same, totally different. I called RockAuto again and they sent another... same as the others. I think I ended up with 3 of the weird ones before they and I gave up and I sent them all back. They were great about it, paying the shipping on the replacements AND the return shipping. Their catalog pic wasn't matching the product. It seemed to be an issue with Moog changing the item drastically..... or a big batch of the wrong item in the wrong boxes. I don't know for sure which.

The straight one was the first one and it looked like the old (original?) ones I was replacing:

This is one I was replacing:

In the end, I went to O'Reilly and had them order one. When it came I checked it before paying and sure enough, it match the straight one. So I paid a little more to get a matching OEM style straight one.

I can't remember if the coil springs I ordered from someplace were Moog or not, but I found them to be shorter than the old originals, so I kept the old ones and paid return shipping on the new ones. The originals(?) didn't seem to be worn out/fatigue, nor rusted despite their possible age.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
Vortec

Post by Vortec »

BenWA, thanks for mentioning that hassle. I've seen a lot of other companies pull that stunt but I'll watch it with moog now too. Risking losing customers to save a buck is unwise long-term.
2009 Vibe GT (mine), 2003 Vibe GT (gf's)
YotaGT

Post by YotaGT »

lannvouivre wrote:Try rockauto. It's going to either be FEL-PRO 61190 or FEL-PRO 61106 (there's one behind the manifold, and another between the muffler and the resonator).

The main reason to spend more on sway bar links would be to have rubber boots that last longer. ACDelco, Beck/Arnley, and MOOG are all good. I have one ACDelco link and one random NAPA link, and the ACDelco one has held up far better.
Thanks Dragon!
You all have me convinced to return the AM ebay brand swaybar links I bought earlier this year. Rockauto is convenient, I'll be taking a look at what they have to offer.