2004 Vibe AWD (not GT) Hube Assembly

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Robert1Stock

2004 Vibe AWD (not GT) Hube Assembly

Post by Robert1Stock »

I am in search of a pair of wheel hub and bearing assembly's for my 04 Vibe, it seems everywhere doesn't sell the full kit except for the rear!

What I am looking for is this:
http://www.amazon.com/Dura-Internationa ... iac%3Avibe

But for the front!!! Why can't I find it anywhere :(
2004 Pontiac Vibe | Base | Auto | Black | 142k
Rob
Robert1Stock

Re: 2004 Vibe AWD (not GT) Hube Assembly

Post by Robert1Stock »

Hey,

I found them from GM parts direct for only 580 BUCKS!!!!! Please tell me someone knows where to get them cheaper besides a pick-a-part :(
Rob
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

ask a Toyota dealer. You may have to find a VIN number of a matching model Matrix.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Uhm.. You can't find a bolt in hub assembly for the front because they don't exist. Vibes use press in front wheel bearings. The bearing presses into the knuckle and the hub presses into the bearing.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Robert1Stock wrote:But for the front!!! Why can't I find it anywhere :(
Unfortunately, the front hubs are not sold as a unit like the rear. The old bearings need to be pressed out of the knuckle and the new bearings pressed in.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=24745
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Robert1Stock

Post by Robert1Stock »

Hey,

Thanks for the 411, never had a vehicle that didn't have hub assemblies sold for it (front and back) :(.

With this new bit of information.... How strong of a press do I need to press it out & the new one in?

I have a 5 ton bottle jack that I can put into a press jig; guess I'll get a quote from a shop before I go this route though.
Rob
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Robert1Stock wrote:How strong of a press do I need to press it out & the new one in?

I have a 5 ton bottle jack that I can put into a press jig; guess I'll get a quote from a shop before I go this route though.
That should be enough, but do you have something to use as a race?

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-b ... 95853.html
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Robert1Stock wrote:Hey,

Thanks for the 411, never had a vehicle that didn't have hub assemblies sold for it (front and back) :(.

With this new bit of information.... How strong of a press do I need to press it out & the new one in?

This isn't a hammer in/hammer out ordeal. The fitment is very tight and there are a few important details, if overlooked, will destroy the new bearing or hub. It's best to cut your losses and bring the knuckle to a shop and have them press he new bearing in.
Robert1Stock

Post by Robert1Stock »

Hey,

Sorry for the late response. I had to build some shelves in my garage so I can get this baby parked in there lol.

I ended up using my tap and dye kit to repair the threads and she is holding up real nicely. I still have the new hub and bearing in the event I should need it but for now I guess I will keep on rolling on what I got :).

If I do ever need to replace it, I found out my brother in law has a mad nice bench press with all kids of attachments that should do nicely. But until then, all just speculation.

Regarding the race, I actually have that exact kit lol.

Thanks!
Rob
jolt

Post by jolt »

I had front bearings I had to press out of knuckles for a Quest mini van. I took them to work and the 12 ton press would not move them. I had to use the big 40 ton press to get them out. I do not think a 5 ton bottle jack is going to do the job. With that much force there is a safety issue to be aware of too.