Burning rubber smell from rear driver side wheel well?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Browning

Burning rubber smell from rear driver side wheel well?

Post by Browning »

First time it's done it. Smells like tires do after power breaking. Coming from the rear driver side tire area. FWD base model 05. Can't see anything rubbing.

It doesn't smell anything like brakes. It legit smells like burnt tire rubber
lannvouivre

Re: Burning rubber smell from rear driver side wheel well?

Post by lannvouivre »

Are you sure your rear brakes aren't locking the rear wheels or anything?
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Browning

Post by Browning »

yea completely positive the tires never locked up, nor spun out. Going to give it a look over today before we make a 3 hour round trip
Browning

Post by Browning »

lannvouivre wrote:Are you sure your rear brakes aren't locking the rear wheels or anything?
got to look at it today. It's the plastic cover to the fuel neck and lines that are bolted inside the fender well. Looks like there is a line holder that clipes to the lines, then the plastic is bolted to the clip? Anyways, it's no longer attached to the lines and every time we hit a bump or dip it's flapping down and hitting the tire.

So glad it's something simple.

lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Nice! Things you can catch without disassembly and testing are great.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Browning

Post by Browning »

lannvouivre wrote:Nice! Things you can catch without disassembly and testing are great.
Definitely. I was planning on digging into the brakes even though I couldn't thing of anything even remotely rubber that could be behind the drum. I'll try to take care of this issue tomorrow. shouldn't be hard at all. I just wonder how it hit the trim in the first place, unless our coilovers are going out, but they don't appear to be when we drive it.