2005 VIBE FWD to AWD will they work???

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
mango02

2005 VIBE FWD to AWD will they work???

Post by mango02 »

Can you mount AWD struts and springs on a FWD 2005 VIBE?? Will they fit and raise the car? Looked at the specs almost the same, AWD 1 inch more travel on the rears shocks only thing I could find. Is there anything on a AWD that is stronger than FWD that will cross fit?
vibrologist

Re: 2005 VIBE FWD to AWD will they work???

Post by vibrologist »

The AWD has a completely different rear set up: independent rear suspension vs torsion box in the FWD.

As far as I know the rear struts are not interchangeable. One thing you cannot see by looking at the struts only are the mounting points at the suspension. They could be higher or lower to the hub centers. That will affect ride height.

I would like for someone to try it because I would like a more comfortable ride too. So far in my research the best option for improved comfort are Monroe Quick Struts as they have slightly softer springs. Combine that with 15" wheels with higher sidewall tires and that should be the most comfortable set up possible.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
mango02

Post by mango02 »

How about the SPRINGS are they the same? AWD is a little heavier car.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

mango02 wrote:How about the SPRINGS are they the same? AWD is a little heavier car.
I don't know.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

The front struts and coils are the same on FWD and AWD. The rears are not, as vibrologist correctly posted.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum