2004 Vibe base AWD Shocks Struts parts list

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
bowtieman427

2004 Vibe base AWD Shocks Struts parts list

Post by bowtieman427 »

2004 Vibe base AWD has 115,000 and it is time to get shocks and/or struts. Putting together order at R0ck Aut0 and want to make sure I am covering my bases. I am electing to get new sway bar links also. NOT 100% sure if the rear strut mount kit is correct for the AWD vibe (last item on list)
List as follows:
2-API 270097342 Sway Bar Link Or Kit; 4 WHEEL/ALL WHEEL DRIVE,COMPLETE - REAR; Base Model
2-ULTRA-POWER K80230 Front; Base Model
1-MONROE 172116 Quick-Strut Front Right
1-MONROE 172117 Quick-Strut Front Left
2- MONROE 71375 OESpectrum Strut REAR; AWD
2-MONROE 904990 Strut-Mate Strut Mounting Kit Rear

Anything else worth getting or consdering while I have it apart. I changed the front wheel bearings at 96k and put on brakes all around this summer as well as rear driver side wheel bearing.
thanks
Jim
bowtieman427

Re: 2004 Vibe base AWD Shocks Struts parts list

Post by bowtieman427 »

Forgo to ask is the rear setup like a regular strut like FWD ?? there is NO quick strut and curious how it is setup. Strut or shock (lke old cars use to have shock not integrated with spring) Just wondering what I am in for
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

It's different because the AWD uses independent rear suspension, while the FWD uses a torsion beam setup.
Here's what you're going to be looking at:
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
jolt

Post by jolt »

Here you go:

http://madstyle1972.com/Repair/27/200qpl02/w040001.pdf

It uses coil over units. Very close to a strut. Be very careful with compressing the springs and working with a compressed spring as the potential energy contained in the compressed spring can cause great physical damage. Also check wheel alignment when done, as ride height will have changed, which effects wheel alignment.
bowtieman427

Post by bowtieman427 »

Thank you great info the parts to order look OK. Will the 2-MONROE 904990 Strut-Mate Strut Mounting Kit Rear work on AWD ??
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Not sure. They don't specify, so I assume that it's the same for FWD and AWD.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog

Monroe lists the rear mounting kit for both AWD & FWD.

KYB are the OEM struts, though they are more expensive...
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
bowtieman427

Post by bowtieman427 »

Just went back on RA page lookign at cart of parts and notice Monroe has $100 rebate in form of CC if set of 4 struts purchased. that brings $400 down to $300. I was going for the Monroe items as they offer a better warranty on the Quick strut vs the KY B Quick strut. At least how I intrepid them. Monroe warranties the whole quick strut for life while the KYB gives what looks like a 1yr on the all with life on the cartridge/strut ???

I guess I will ask question another question is the rear strut mount kit typically necessary on the rear strut or are the originals mounts typically good to go for life of car. I ask because sometimes I will buy a kit for a job and find that the old originals are better then what the kit has even after being used. I am not sure if that is the case here .I know a front strut should get a mount kit, I have had front strut mounts go bad, but not sure on the rears. Sorry for not asking earlier and again thanks in advance.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Research I've done on the KYB parts showed no rear quick struts- just the struts themselves.

Maybe purchase the rear kits from a local dealer that you can return to?
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I have never seen a bad rear mount, not even on the '85 Tercel that had the rear shocks go this bad:
bowtieman427

Post by bowtieman427 »

I ended up getting the Monroe front quick struts (son said easy to install) and Monroe rear struts. Sent in my $100 rebate to Monroe so to me that is a great deal.
My son 15yrs old put the front quick struts in while I was busy with work. He did a great job, but the ABS light is on in the dash : ( Any ideas what is wrong ? Is there a way to refresh it ? The wires that he touch all appear in place and plugged in and he let me know he supported the hub with a jack so it was not putting strain on them.
We went after the rears together but the elected not to given put them in at this time. Found out we have 2x bad rear wheel bearings. Last summer put in cheap one in on right side and today that one has the worse wheel movement I have ever seen. POS bearing. I know now for all the effort to put the bearings in get the best you can buy. The rear bearings on AWD offer a wide range of price $30-$200 ballpark. I am going with 2x TIMKEN HA590002

Hopfully this weekend we will get this all done