Question about Tokico shocks/struts ('03 Gt)

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Tthomas1408

Question about Tokico shocks/struts ('03 Gt)

Post by Tthomas1408 »

Hi everyone, new member here, though I've clicked around on the forum for a little while now. Was just wondering about something that I'm sure has been asked, so here it goes: would the tokico shock/strut set up for the 03 to 08 matrix work for the 03 to 08 vibe gt? Is the damping the same in the rear? Furthermore, does anyone know where I can get them? It seems like it's hard to find tokicos for my car, and all I see are KYBs and Monroes....also, if I got the set (2 front, 2 rear, and cartridges) what else is needed for them? Was thinking of a slight drop with eibach springs. Any opinions on this set up?... thanks for reading and for the feedback
ImUrOBGYN

Re: Question about Tokico shocks/struts ('03 Gt)

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I had an issue finding the rear Tokico blues when I first changed mine. A year or two ago, they had an issue finding a new US supplier. Supposedly, that was taken care of, but there's still probably not a lot of them for our cars left. As I mentioned, Ive been running them for a couple years with no issues. Better than stock on my 03 Vibe GT but I can't really compare them to any other strut for this car. I have zero faith in Monroes, too, btw.

I'm familiar with Eibachs on other cars and was pretty happy. They usually give you a "functional" drop which is what I like. I have some Tein STechs that were bought for me as a gift I'll be putting on soon after my move. I'm afraid those are going to drop me too much, especially for a daily driver. Guess I'll see. Maybe I'll make a trade down the road with someone who likes moar low. lol

Once you find them, I would also purchase new strut mounts for the front and you'll probably need some new dust covers/dust boots or whatever you wanna call them for each strut, as well. If you don't have a torque wrench/ratchet, purchase one. If you live near a harbor freight, you may be surprised to know you can get one for under $20. Don't worry, they've tested very highly. Just don't leave them compressed when you put them away.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
lannvouivre

Re: Question about Tokico shocks/struts ('03 Gt)

Post by lannvouivre »

The Tein S techs only drop you as far as the average stock BMW. You will scrape on really aggressive driveways, parking lot entrances, and speed bumps. Otherwise, you'll never notice (in TX, at least). Oh, and if your passengers are terrible, the bottom of the front doors can scrape on curbs.

The Matrix ones will fit 03-08. You may want new strut boots, front mounts, and bottom and maybe top coil spring insulators.

You can consider KYB GR2s as well:
http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/index ... 82_221_261
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit