2010 Vibe GT Suspension/Tires

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
cydrtha

2010 Vibe GT Suspension/Tires

Post by cydrtha »

Hi Everyone, Happy New Year!

I believe I am posting in the right place. I am brand new to the forum and have searched far and wide for the answers to my questions, but I think it would make more sense to go ahead and post them here.

My 2010 Vibe GT has 79,000 miles. The roads in my area are pretty crappy - lots of concrete, lots of potholes and subpar fixes of those potholes! I have never been a fan of my Vibe's suspension even when it had 19,000 miles (except on brand new pavement). Now, it's even worse. I'm in the market for new suspension in any way you think will help. I have to replace tires soon anyway, so an all-around fix is very welcome. Are there specific shocks and springs with specific tires that give it a ride more like a Corolla, for example? Can you simply use Corolla or Camry parts, for example? I've seen many posts about lowering your Vibe, but not about giving it a more comfortable ride. Frankly, I'm surprised. If the roads aren't brand new, the ride and noise are pretty bad. I assumed it was a Vibe GT problem others have had.

Grateful in advance for your suggestions.
Mark D
vibe gt.jpg
vibe gt.jpg (40.67 KiB) Viewed 4953 times
cydrtha

Re: 2010 Vibe GT Suspension/Tires

Post by cydrtha »

Bump. I would love to read some suggestions for improving my vibe GTs ride. Any takers?
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Other than downsizing to 16" wheels (the absolute smallest wheels that will clear the front calipers), I haven't seen any other suggestions on here. We got new tires for our OEM 18" wheels last spring and went from the OEM 215/45/18 to 235/40/18 which made a little difference, but nothing huge. Ultimately, the 09-10 Vibe GTs have a sport suspension which is meant to be stiffer and therefore, is going to ride rougher.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
cydrtha

Post by cydrtha »

Ok, thank you for the suggestion of the smaller wheels and larger tires.
Does anyone have experience with aftermarket suspension?
samsonite

Post by samsonite »

The best handling upgrade you can make without increasing the harshness like lowering springs will do, is to get a front and rear swaybar package. They really help to control the sway of the vehicle when going around corners. The factory swaybars are a joke.

Then do tires... don't go cheap on tires. Get some Michelins. The Symmetry tires are a really good compromise between all season traction, comfort, and hangling.

Shocks will help control the bouncing of the vehicle. Bilstein and Koni are two of the best.

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

samsonite wrote:The best handling upgrade you can make without increasing the harshness like lowering springs will do, is to get a front and rear swaybar package. They really help to control the sway of the vehicle when going around corners. The factory swaybars are a joke.

Then do tires... don't go cheap on tires. Get some Michelins. The Symmetry tires are a really good compromise between all season traction, comfort, and hangling.

Shocks will help control the bouncing of the vehicle. Bilstein and Koni are two of the best.
Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there are no front or rear sway bars that will fit the 2nd gen AWDs or GTs because of the IRS (Independent Rear Suspension).

And as far as shocks and struts, again, to my knowledge there are no performance options. Only aftermarket OEM replacements.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage