Can somebody double check my diagnosis?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
striker1211

Can somebody double check my diagnosis?

Post by striker1211 »

So I am almost 100% sure that this rattle sound is being made by my brake pads and lack of shims keeping pressure on them when the brake is released, but I just want someone to verify since I am not really a suspension expert. When going from forward in motion, to reverse and then stopping, I hear a clunk and vice versa. Just last night it started clunking over bumps and driving me nuts so I decided to tear it apart. The sway bar is not loose enough to rattle by hand at the bushing, the wheel has no movement when grabbed at top and bottom and torqued, and also none while grabbing at left and right and torqueing (other than turning the steering). Thanks in advance for your time.

Here is the video containing the sounds and my possible explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L4zpd0Qkds

I kinda hope I'm not wrong so I don't have to edit the video haha
My Vehicle: 2008 Vibe Moon & Tunes 1.8L ATX
Chiadog

Re: Can somebody double check my diagnosis?

Post by Chiadog »

Just my 2 cents, but I don't think it's the shims! looks like your problem is you have the wrong pads! Pads appear to be too small for the calipers, I have never seen pads that loose. Match the pads up to your old pads and don't drive the car this way! Good luck
striker1211

Post by striker1211 »

Thanks for the christmas reply :) I did check the pads against the old ones when I put them on side by side and they are the exact same. In fact I bought the exact same ones (brand and model) so I could exchange the old ones under warranty for another free set without the car being laid up for a day. The first time I did the pads 3 years ago I just reused the shims that were on the toyota OEM pads but this time they were rusted into nothingness. Thanks for the reply though, I thought the same thing when I watched the video.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Put the front on jack stands and take the wheels off and test them.

If they are jumping around, most likely you're missing hardware. That's these clips:
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
striker1211

Post by striker1211 »

I have the two sets of the two bottom rows of that picture but the two items in the top row I do not. In fact those two ones on the top of the picture are unlike anything I have ever taken off my brakes haha. I'll have to look those up. Thanks :)
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Those are a generic picture, I didn't go through the effort to find ones specifically for our brakes. You only need the bottom two rows type.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

The pads seem like they are well worn since the "tabs" look deep into the caliper. How old are they? They do look too small for the bracket.

Did you grease the backs of the pads? I used too much one time and it caused the pads to slip side to side in the caliper like yours do.

Maybe a new set of pads (with integrated shims)?
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

I'm still not convinced that those pads are the correct size for the drivers side caliper. Can you go back to the parts store and check the old pads against a DIFFERENT supplier's pads? Are the pads this sloppy on the passenger side also? Wrong caliper on the drivers side?
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

There is something messed up there. Get new pads and hardware. Shouldn't cost more than $50 or $75 to diy.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
striker1211

Post by striker1211 »

I used these same pads in 2012 and did not have this issue, but I did put the shims on them in 2012. Here is a pic of the box of pads which is the same part number and brand as my old box of pads, along with a pic of the old pads (that were quiet).

I do feel like something might be up though so when I go to the part store to get the used pads switched out with new ones (wagner is a lifetime warranty pad) I will compare them once again and if they match I will just redo the job with the side shims like I did in 2012. They do seem to have an awful lot of room to wiggle.
striker1211

Post by striker1211 »

Necroposting, I know, but I forgot to post back and say it was the missing shims causing it. Put in the shims from Toyota (Toyota 04945-02050 Disc Brake Pad Shim) and all is quiet.