bad coil symptoms??

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
jamesmetairie

bad coil symptoms??

Post by jamesmetairie »

I noticed alot of discussion about replacing bad coils posted in "engine and transmission" section.

Wow do you know when a coil bad ?

what are some of the common symptoms of a bad coil ?

Happy Holidays to all.
jolt

Re: bad coil symptoms??

Post by jolt »

"Check engine" light will be on because of a miss fire is a warning of a possible bad coil with the proper error code for you vechicale.

When you change spark plugs, you do a visual check of the coil body for cracks. Also http://madstyle1972.com/Repair/18/20iamc05/onvein40.pdf
Caretaker

Re: bad coil symptoms??

Post by Caretaker »

[quote="jolt"]"Check engine" light will be on because of a miss fire is a warning of a possible bad coil with the proper error code for you vechicale.

I disagree. We see coil pack issues with Honda Fits all the time. Rarely is there a check engine light associated with the failing ignition coils. Symptoms include hesitation on acceleration, near stalls at stop signs, and rough idle. Despite swapping out the ignition coils when replacing the plugs on my Fit, I decided just to do a visual inspection on my Vibe after replacing the Denso plugs at 80,000 miles. I did this out of lack of funds rather than logic. With my original coils at 95,000 miles, I have a slight tremor at idle, occasional shudder at startup, and have a diving rpm at full stops which has not been solved by cleaning the engine and air intake systems. If it gets any worse, I'll be making the call to the Rock Auto bull pen for replacement Denso ignition coils.