Scary Noise

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Megladon7

Scary Noise

Post by Megladon7 »

My wife started to drive to work in her '03, manual trans, front wheel drive the other day. The wheels happened to be turned to the left. As soon as she let out the clutch it made a very loud mechanical racket like she had popped the clutch and stalled it. I thought maybe the passenger side drive shaft had popped out of the transfer case or perhaps the parking brake was stuck on. I found that if I straightened the wheels I could pull forward with no noise, as soon as I tried to turn left, the noise started and got worse as I turned increased the turn.

I've jacked it up and checked the shaft, seems fine. With the front end on jack stands I can put it in gear and both wheels rotate normally when I let the clutch out.

I'll check the fluid in the transfer case, but how would low fluid cause a problem only when turning left?

Any thought, ideas, comments appreciated as always!
gtv237

Re: Scary Noise

Post by gtv237 »

An outer cv joint would cause this.
Megladon7

Post by Megladon7 »

Boy that will be depressing as I just replaced the 1/2 axle about a year ago. :cry:
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

If you replaced the one on the same side, it should still be under warranty.
Megladon7

Post by Megladon7 »

Well it got worse. Pulled the wheel and checked to make sure everything was tight, put it all back together and things worked fine for a couple days. Then when I made a sharp left u-turn, BAM, scary noise. I coasted into a parking lot. I couldn't move it at all under power. Had it towed to the GM dealer. They think it's the front right CV. They want just over $1000 to fix it. I replaced it less than a year ago so I'm having it towed back to me so I can pull the part and see what I get from the O'Reilly guys....stay tuned....

(FYI, I remember when I installed it, the boots seemed to be stretched more than usual, any thoughts?)
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Any difference in the 2zz and 1zz cv? Or perhaps they gave you the wrong year? Of course, I'm attempting to think of things that point the finger elsewhere until you have a look.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
trb

Post by trb »

ImUrOBGYN wrote:Any difference in the 2zz and 1zz cv? Or perhaps they gave you the wrong year? Of course, I'm attempting to think of things that point the finger elsewhere until you have a look.
Yes, they are different. The 2ZZ passenger side mounts in a carrier that bolts to the engine block, while the 1ZZ does not have this carrier or bearing. There is also about a 1/2" difference in the length.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Megladon7

Post by Megladon7 »

OK, the inner boot on the axle was completely torn. Pulled the axle, as soon as I got the spindle out of the steering knuckle most of the axle just dropped to the ground. The steel cup that has the spindle that goes into the transmission stayed stuck in the transmission. I do mean stuck! It was a bear to get out but I guess that is not unusual. Based on the ridge and wear on interior of the cup, I'm pretty sure the scary noise was the three rollers jumping around just inside the cup.

O'Reilly's ordered me a new axle under warantee.

I have the inner end installed into the transmission and have the outer end resting in the steering knuckle, but the end is pretty much flush with the outer opening of the bearing. I can force it a bit and get the axle nut on, but as I tighten the nut to pull the assembly into the knuckle, it will really stretch the inner CV boot/joint, pulling it to the point where I'm afraid it will likely fail again.

Is this normal? (I replaced the axle a few months ago and I was a little worried about how stretched the inner boot became as I tightened the axle nut.)

I've checked the axle against the specs given in the service manual and it seems to be the correct axle.

Any help guys??
Last edited by Megladon7 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Megladon7

Post by Megladon7 »

InnerCV.jpg
InnerCV.jpg (82.27 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
Megladon7

Post by Megladon7 »

InnerCV2.jpg
InnerCV2.jpg (93.45 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
Megladon7