What would you guys do? Stuck caliper guide pin.

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
striker1211

What would you guys do? Stuck caliper guide pin.

Post by striker1211 »

I have one stuck caliper guide pin on my 2008 vibe. It is the bottom one on the drivers side. My options are to spend hours trying to get the pin out (tried MAPP gas and BFH already), replace the bracket ($47 after core), or replace the entire caliper with bracket ($57 after core). Both calipers are fine and show no signs of seizure or leaking. I am shocked that an entire caliper is $10 more than just the bracket but that is just the way it is. My real question is, if I replace one of the calipers should I replace the other one? I have 170k miles on these factory calipers but I am wondering if aftermarket calipers are junk compared to OEM. Also, could anyone explain the significance of the two washers on the brake line bolt on the back of the caliper? It looks like one goes on the outside and one goes on the inside, but it seems like it would block the little hole in the bolt once torqued down. I cannot find any videos on how to replace the caliper on the vibe, only the rotors/pads. Thanks in advance.
My Vehicle: 2008 Vibe Moon & Tunes 1.8L ATX
ctgottapee

Re: What would you guys do? Stuck caliper guide pin.

Post by ctgottapee »

striker1211 wrote:I have one stuck caliper guide pin on my 2008 vibe. It is the bottom one on the drivers side. My options are to spend hours trying to get the pin out (tried MAPP gas and BFH already), replace the bracket ($47 after core), or replace the entire caliper with bracket ($57 after core). Both calipers are fine and show no signs of seizure or leaking. I am shocked that an entire caliper is $10 more than just the bracket but that is just the way it is. My real question is, if I replace one of the calipers should I replace the other one? I have 170k miles on these factory calipers but I am wondering if aftermarket calipers are junk compared to OEM. Also, could anyone explain the significance of the two washers on the brake line bolt on the back of the caliper? It looks like one goes on the outside and one goes on the inside, but it seems like it would block the little hole in the bolt once torqued down. I cannot find any videos on how to replace the caliper on the vibe, only the rotors/pads. Thanks in advance.
Stuck as in how? [don't have first gen to picture in my head]

If the caliper is truly fine, replace just the bracket. No need to gamble that they rebuilt the piston assembly and all properly. Aftermarket are generally refurbished oem takeoffs, just depends who rebuilds them, how bad the prior were, etc.
New bolts and new boots and grease too.

There is no need to replace both calipers AFAIK if you go that route, but your new caliper will not be extended on the brake pad the same as the other side. Most would likely replace the brake pads, which means you are replacing the pads on the other side too. Hence why just doing the bracket is cost effective and easiest. You also need to bleed it properly afterwards (google it).

The washers (called banjo bolt washers) serve as crush washers; you should NOT reuse them. One goes on the outside - first thing on the bolt, other on the inside, up agaisnt the caliper; often the bolt is not reused either. The hole in the bolt will be inside the caliper. The torque is very light on that bolt, otherwise you break it off - the whole through it for the fluid weakens it.
striker1211

Post by striker1211 »

Sorry, I should have explained better. I ran into the stuck caliper guide pin, (stuck as in cannot get it out, cannot push it in, other 3 move fine) while doing a complete brake job with rotors and pads. Both sides will be getting new rotors and pads regardless. Will the calipers still be press differently just because they are two different dates of manufacture?
Derf

Post by Derf »

Caliper set should not press differently. But you will want to replace both sets of pads/rotors at the same time, to ensure even wear. Most companies that rebuild calipers meet OEM criteria. I am not aware of any service bulletins or inline manufacturing updates to the calipers, meaning an old core from a 2003 caliper could be rebuilt and used on a 2008.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

You'll have to replace the bracket. If the rest of the caliper is fine, that's really all you need to do. You can even rebuild the main body of the caliper to make sure it lasts longer, it's simple and easy to do if you have an air compressor with enough pressure to push out the piston.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

I just ran into this stuck guide pin issue. For the 2nd gen, front brackets only were not available so I got a whole caliper replacement.

The design was pretty much identical.
As someone noted above, you can rebuild the other caliper to update it to almost new like the new caliper for under $10. You replace the caliper boots (where the pin goes) and the piston boot. You'll need the proper grease, and removing the piston boot can give you troubles depending or be simple - google for tutorials and tips.
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

hey I know im late to the party here.. yea at the very least the bracket is toast..
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

vibedrivermatt wrote:hey I know im late to the party here.. yea at the very least the bracket is toast..
The bad news is brackets are not available for the 2nd gen vibe on the front, you have to go the full caliper.
The rear brackets are almost as much as the whole setup so it's a mute point, except you'll have a core charge and core to return
striker1211

Post by striker1211 »

So it's been a few months and I forgot to update this thread. I did end up just using the bracket and leaving the existing caliper on because I did not have time to rebleed the whole system. So I ended up paying $50 for a bracket. Oh well, beats paying a mechanic still, plus I learned some stuff. Oh, and braking is fine and it does not pull more so to one side than the other. Stops very well with my aggressive driving patterns.