seems like front brakes not releasing

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
jevery

seems like front brakes not releasing

Post by jevery »

So my wife has a 2004 and WILL NEVER get rid of it. She loves the car. Recently we have had an issue with what seems to be the front brakes. It doesn't happen often enough to be able to get a good read on what happens but it seems like when it does happen it is right after a stop. When you pull away you can hear a rubbing sound. Yesterday it happened on the way home from town. She said it feels.like something is holding her back. Or dragging. When. We got out I poured a little bit of water on rotors through the wheel holes and it sizzles so I know they are locking up. Both sides??
Not sure if it is ABS, mastercylinder, or a redistribution problem.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
sideshowalan

Re: seems like front brakes not releasing

Post by sideshowalan »

It's normal for rotors to be that hot after being used. Heat is only a problem if one side is significantly hotter than the other.

You may just need a brake fluid exchange, or new calipers if they're seizing up.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to genvibe!

A little more info would be helpful- what is the Vibe's mileage and when was the last time the rotors/pads were replaced? Brake fluid replaced? How much pad is left? If you're willing to remove the wheels, it's easy to inspect the pads.

Shouldn't keep pouring water (especially cold water) on hot rotors... wouldn't want to warp them.

A scraping noise could be as simple as rust on the edge of the rotor rubbing against something. Could also be a worn wear indicator that's been ignored.

You can check for seized caliper by putting the car in drive on a level road (parking lot) with the brake pedal pressed, then release the pedal. If the car doesn't want to roll, that could be it.

Unlikely to be ABS without a warning light.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

You tube has some GREAT vids on how to diagnose a possible frozen cailper. Just remember if one caliper is frozen the next one will follow shortly after. If one is frozen....change both !!! 8-) I changed the passenger side last year and guess what ??? i just changed the driver side this past weekend :oops:
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on