Best shocks/struts for lowered vibes

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
passtimik

Best shocks/struts for lowered vibes

Post by passtimik »

Getting ready to replace my shocks and struts. I have tein s tech springs and get about 1.8" drop and wore out the shocks and struts. They weren't ment for a lowered car. What is the best springs for a lowered vibe. Mine is a 04 base.
sideshowalan

Re: Best shocks/struts for lowered vibes

Post by sideshowalan »

No performance struts available for the vibe like Bilstein or Koni.

Monroe or KYB are the only name brand options.
Sachs and Gabriel are a choice too but everything I've heard says they're inferior to KYB/Monroe.

KYB is your best choice for being lowered, they're firmer than Monroe.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

passtimik: could you clarify if you are looking for the right struts to go with your Tein S Tech springs or if you are looking for better springs. Your original post could be confusing:
Getting ready to replace my shocks and struts. I have tein s tech springs and get about 1.8" drop and wore out the shocks and struts. They weren't ment for a lowered car. What is the best springs for a lowered vibe. Mine is a 04 base.
I think you are actually looking to get the best struts to go with your Tein S Tech springs.

I am following this thread because i am looking for the most improved ride comfort. I have learned that the Tein S Tech springs and the Eibach Pro springs are progressive and both will absorb small bumps better than the OEM springs. Bigger bumps may be tougher.
Considering Sideshowalan's opinion my intent would be best served with Eibach Pro springs and Monroe OE Spectrum struts. I wonder if any one has combined the Monroes with either the Eibach Pro or the Tein S Tech springs? I recall someone has the Tein S Tech's combined with Tokico struts.
Sideshowalan: you are the first saying that Monroes are softer than KYB. Crashbandit has Monroes and he finds them just as hard as the originals.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
1gnvibe

Post by 1gnvibe »

I also have S Techs on stock struts and my plan has been to go with Tokico HPs (they're blue) when the factory KYBs give up the ghost. Everything I've read about tein spring/strut combos points to Tokico.
97 Neon Sedan - 'trollmobile' - 5sp, 52mm TB, Sport Exhaust, factory white ACR wheels, Kicker 300w monoblock pushing 2 MTX 5500 12s
04 Vibe GT 'murdervibe' - Abyss Black, plasti-dipped badges and wheels, Tein S Techs on stock struts, tinted everything
passtimik

Post by passtimik »

Sorry for the confusion. Yes I am looking for the best shocks/struts combo to go with Tein S tech springs that give me the best ride possible. I like good handling, but I'd like a good ride as well. I know I can't get the best of both but I like to have a little of both. Sideshowalan, which KYB do you suggest?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

1gnvibe wrote:I also have S Techs on stock struts and my plan has been to go with Tokico HPs (they're blue) when the factory KYBs give up the ghost. Everything I've read about tein spring/strut combos points to Tokico.
Tokico or KYB GR2. You can get KONIs for a corolla, but I don't know if the rears would have the right damping.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
passtimik

Post by passtimik »

Thank you, everybody