AWD rear suspension upgrade?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
09SnowyVibe

AWD rear suspension upgrade?

Post by 09SnowyVibe »

Hi guys. I had an 09 AWD White Vibe that got wrote off September last year. We just picked up a red FWD Vibe, and LOVE it. We drove 2 1/2 hours to get this one because it was red, FWD, and better yet, it has the 2.4 like our old one! Too bad we don't have an AWD, but the fuel mileage didn't justify the cost.

I do miss the independent rear suspension. Can I take the complete IRS off an AWD, and bolt it up to mine without the differential and shafts? Obviously I need to find a bolt for the rear bearings so they don't fly apart. Im a mechanic so this stuff is easy, but I really don't want to go modifying the rear structure of the car lol. I don't want the AWD, just the IRS.

Thanks
2009 Vibe AWD
2001 Sunfire GTX
1993 Buick Park Ave
1984 Chevrolet Citation
vibrologist

Re: AWD rear suspension upgrade?

Post by vibrologist »

Well, I was hoping somebody would respond to this thread, because I am interested in improving the ride comfort of my Vibe. Is the AWD more comfortable?
Snowy, if you do this modification, would you please write it up for us?

And another question for you: What do you think about this idea to improve the ride comfort in particular at low speeds: would it be possible to replace the struts with those of a Chevrolet Cavalier? At least the rear struts have more travel and I have not ran across complains about the Cavalier's ride comfort. Both have twist beam rear suspension.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

I believe the 09-10 vibe GT's (FWD) do have independent rear suspension. If anything I would use that.
trb

Post by trb »

gtv237 wrote:I believe the 09-10 vibe GT's (FWD) do have independent rear suspension. If anything I would use that.
This is correct. You can use the GT rear suspension, but it will likely cost quite a bit, ($1K?) which is probably more in total than just buying a GT model to begin with. That would have been good to know when you were shopping.

I would look on http://www.car-part.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a 09-10 GT or 09-12? Matrix XRS that has all of the rear suspension parts on it. Maybe look for a rear hatch or bumper cover to find the cars and then call. Might get lucky and get all of the parts for a few hundred, but more than likley you will need to change brake lines, ebrake cables, and maybe several other things. Might be a good idea to look at a GM parts diagram on one of the online GM parts places and compare the different parts between the base Vibe and the GT suspension.

Good luck!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
09SnowyVibe

Post by 09SnowyVibe »

I can probably get a used complete rear cradle cheap.
Regarding making the ride softer, other than using higher sidewall tires, there really isn'ta way. These cars have a front ssuspension cradle that bolts directly on the body. Most other cars like the Camry or my Buick have an isolated cradle that uses bushings to dampen outroad noise and ssoften the ride considerably. I'd like to look into doing this someday lol. I can fabricate anything lol.
2009 Vibe AWD
2001 Sunfire GTX
1993 Buick Park Ave
1984 Chevrolet Citation
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

These cars have a front ssuspension cradle that bolts directly on the body. Most other cars like the Camry or my Buick have an isolated cradle that uses bushings to dampen outroad noise and ssoften the ride considerably. I'd like to look into doing this someday lol. I can fabricate anything lol.
Alright Snowy. Watch out, you may have a business on your hands. :lol:
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476