'09 Vibe Front Bearings. Need advice on difficulty, cost.

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
jmulla

'09 Vibe Front Bearings. Need advice on difficulty, cost.

Post by jmulla »

My '09 Vibe has a rotation noise (cluck..cluck..cluck!) on sharp right turns. I am going to check it out, but assuming it is a bearing, I'd like to get some advice on replacing them.
I have done other jobs of a similar nature (front bearings (although these are sealed units), and ball joints on 2000 Grand Prix.) I have all the tools I should need, except that I don't have access to a press.

If I find a local shop that would remove and replace the bearings, how hard is the rest of the job, especially getting the knuckles off the car? Are there any good videos or directions available on-line? Any idea on what it should cost me for labor only to get the bearings R&R on both sides?

On the other hand, what should I expect to pay for a shop to do the whole job?

Thanks,
Raven

Re: '09 Vibe Front Bearings. Need advice on difficulty, cost

Post by Raven »

Sounds more like a CV joint. They're around $60.00 and up. Check for a torn boot and grease sprayed around. Try doing a tight (full lock) slow turn at parking lot speed, left and then right. This should narrow it down.
A bearing usually is more of a groan or grinding sound which increases with speed.
What's your mileage?
jmulla

Re: '09 Vibe Front Bearings. Need advice on difficulty, cost.

Post by jmulla »

Thanks, Raven:

See my latest post with up-to-date symptoms.
ctgottapee

Re: '09 Vibe Front Bearings. Need advice on difficulty, cost.

Post by ctgottapee »

If your not sure, I would let a shop determine the issue for you, one that will back the repair.

If you do replace front bearings, get the expensive ones, or you'll be back in a year to replace them again...