Popping sound

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Meshami

Popping sound

Post by Meshami »

Hi,

So I got new tires and had it aligned. They also checked the CV joints and they were good. But, I still hear a small popping sound. I will describe when it happens and hope someone can shed some light.

It is when I either let off the gas, stop and it settles, or take off. To me, it is like when the weight from front to back changes, as it does when you stop and go, like when you feel your body move forward or back with the vehicle. Is that the suspension? Struts? Shocks? No sound when turning, handles great otherwise. It's only a mild annoyance, but don't want a slight annoyance to turn in to a big repair bill if I can fix something early. Any help appreciated.

It's an '07 base model automatic, if that matters. Thanks!!!
Chiadog

Re: Popping sound

Post by Chiadog »

Shouldn't be too hard to find the problem. Sounds like a sloppy CV joint, loose axle to wheel connection or worn motor mounts. Get an accomplice, er helper, and have them (SAFELY) watch the engine, and axle shaft to wheel connection (one at a time) as you shift the car AT IDLE from neutral to drive to neutral to reverse WITH the parking brake ON. I'm assuming the car will make the "pop" sound. The CV joints can be checked with the engine off in "park" by raising one front wheel at a time and checking for excessive movement and the "pop" by turning the raised wheel by hand back-and-forth. That's where I'd start.
Meshami

Post by Meshami »

Chiadog wrote:Shouldn't be too hard to find the problem. Sounds like a sloppy CV joint, loose axle to wheel connection or worn motor mounts. Get an accomplice, er helper, and have them (SAFELY) watch the engine, and axle shaft to wheel connection (one at a time) as you shift the car AT IDLE from neutral to drive to neutral to reverse WITH the parking brake ON. I'm assuming the car will make the "pop" sound. The CV joints can be checked with the engine off in "park" by raising one front wheel at a time and checking for excessive movement and the "pop" by turning the raised wheel by hand back-and-forth. That's where I'd start.
Okay, thanks!!!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

You may also consider checking the sway bar links, those go bad pretty soon and get very irritating. You just have to look from under the car or pull off a front wheel. Mine would pop going over bumps just right. Just suggesting since you'll be in the area. If the boots are split, they need replacing.

It could also be loose brake bolts or lug nuts, in addition to to Chia's suggestions.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
tjollimore

Post by tjollimore »

My wife had been complaining about this for awhile... 'from the back.' You could just BARELY hear it, every once in awhile. I was thinking joints or bushings. Just the other day was driving the car. The noise was louder, and happened a LOT more often. On closer inspection, the front driver's side shock is very weak/blown... We'll see what happens after I replace the shocks.
Meshami

Post by Meshami »

Wow, sorry I didn't update this. :( Took it in to a brake place, upon driving it the mechanic was pretty sure it was loose bolts catching while braking. He had to tear it all down to get to them, but it fixed the problem, no popping sound, and I'm $400 poorer. Just glad it was something fixable and only had me afoot about half a day.
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

That's like $400 a pop!
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires