Monroe Quick Struts 03 GT

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
tabaker0214

Monroe Quick Struts 03 GT

Post by tabaker0214 »

Not sure if this has been posted but I have done alot of searching through the old posts and have not come up with anything on the Monroe Quick struts for the rear set-up.

I had been looking to replace my struts for a while now and have had good success with Monroe's Quick Struts in the past and wanted them again for the Vibe. I found the fronts which can be had now through Advanced Auto Parts for $225 Shipped after $50 off with Code TRT30. I know the fronts are available at many places but thats the cheapest I had found.

The Rear struts were more challenging. I looked everywhere for them and searched this board and the thinkg that kept coming back was they did not exist anywhere. Monroe DOES have the quick struts listed for the rears but NO ONE has them. Then I remeber rockauto.com, I just picked up some fog lights from them so I checked for the rear quick struts and there they were. $240 shipped for BOTH rear Monroe Quick Struts for the rear.

I will let you guys know how it goes when I get them all delivered and installed, hoping this weekend or the beggining of next week. I'm excited since everything on the car is OE and has not been replaced.

These new struts will go great with my new tires and rims that I had just gotten last week.
ParknVibe

Re: Monroe Quick Struts 03 GT

Post by ParknVibe »

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are no struts on the rear suspension....but only shocks. So you don't have Quick setup with a spring.

Here is the Monroe Quick strut for the rear wheels of the 2003 Vibe....171373L (left)

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So you are half right.
Last edited by ParknVibe on Tue May 13, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

ParknVibe wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but there are no struts on the rear suspension....but only shocks. So you don't have Quick setup with a spring.

After reviewing my big service manual for the 2009 Vibe, They call it a shock absorber. However, it is setup like a front strut... But in order to remove it you must support the lower control arm with a arm jack. Then you can take it off. The spring stays in place....

I hope you have a manual to help you to do this.
tabaker0214

Post by tabaker0214 »

Monroe Rear Quick Struts (Or whatever you want to call them) has arrived, This will be my weekend project, just hoping I get the fronts in by this weekend to do them all in one shot.

kumquat

Post by kumquat »

ParknVibe wrote:
ParknVibe wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but there are no struts on the rear suspension....but only shocks. So you don't have Quick setup with a spring.

After reviewing my big service manual for the 2009 Vibe, They call it a shock absorber. However, it is setup like a front strut... But in order to remove it you must support the lower control arm with a arm jack. Then you can take it off. The spring stays in place....

I hope you have a manual to help you to do this.
Definitely struts on the rear of the Vibe, both 03 and 09. The spring and shock are a combined unit, and must be removed from the vehicle that way. To replace just the shock, you must use a strut compressor to remove the spring.
danimal86

Post by danimal86 »

Take lots of pictures. I need to replace my struts, and i may go this route
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

I just put a set of Monroe quick struts on the 03 Vibe GT and "shocks". Interesting that they list them as struts but look like shocks to me with the coil over design. The fronts I had one problem when checking the torque on the last top nut and broke the bolt at 25 ft/lbs. The spec is 29. Not happy with that. I either need to purchase a new top or replace the whole strut.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Salsa Guy wrote:I just put a set of Monroe quick struts on the 03 Vibe GT and "shocks". Interesting that they list them as struts but look like shocks to me with the coil over design. The fronts I had one problem when checking the torque on the last top nut and broke the bolt at 25 ft/lbs. The spec is 29. Not happy with that. I either need to purchase a new top or replace the whole strut.
Ohhh, so you're on Facebook now!

I broke a stud on a new rear engine mount with what the Toyota manual listed as factory spec. The GM manual's spec was 20 ft-lb lower. :roll:
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

Salsa Guy wrote:I just put a set of Monroe quick struts on the 03 Vibe GT and "shocks". Interesting that they list them as struts but look like shocks to me with the coil over design. The fronts I had one problem when checking the torque on the last top nut and broke the bolt at 25 ft/lbs. The spec is 29. Not happy with that. I either need to purchase a new top or replace the whole strut.
That's what a strut is: a shock with integrated coil.
danimal86

Post by danimal86 »

Other than the broken bolt, whats your thoughts on them?
tabaker0214

Post by tabaker0214 »

So I won't have the front setup until next Tuesday so I guess I will be working on the rears this weekend. I will keep you guys updated on how it goes with them.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

No clunking in the front. The broken bolt was VERY disappointing. I'll order another from Rockauto, swap them, then return under warranty. I'm really p I s s e d over that.

The rears 1 was made in US and South Africa they had 2 different top designs. The US version I did not have the proper "adapter" to check the torque (need to post a PIC).

I had less issues with the rears than the front.

On my way to HCMO in Erie PA. All Vibes are considered Matrixes, all is welcome. Red Roof Erie if you are Hard enough!
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
tabaker0214

Post by tabaker0214 »

Ok so the fronts quick struts came in this week and I will be working on them next week since this weekend I have to work on replacing a fuel pump for my brothers 2000 Mustang GT, thats gonna be a fun project.

I did however get the rear Monroe Quick struts in today and here is what the look like installed.

Not too bad, it only took maybe 1 1/2 hour to do both.

The ride with just the rears is Great, no more bottoming out going over bumbs in the rear.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

The rears were simple except for doing the Torque on 2 of bolts when the car is off the stands.
ken99287

Post by ken99287 »

Did you guys end up having to get your cars aligned after install?

How does the monroe quick strut assemblies compare to stock? I remember when I first got my vibe, it handled like a go-cart with the stock suspension.

What did you guys end up paying for them got the part numbers? There are 2 grades, I believe.
Last edited by ken99287 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tight is tight, too tight is broke.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Yes I did an alignment are driving about 2 weeks. I did break a top strut bolt when setting it to 28ft/lbs.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

I just got my $90 Rebate debit card back from Monroe today. It took them about a month but basically I replaced my rear Struts for free!
msmyer

Post by msmyer »

I have 257k on my Vibe and looking at the Monroe Quick Strut? How do you guys like them?
‘03 Vibe with 317k and still going.............................

Other Mods: Sony X-Plod Headunit & Reflective White GVC decalMy Car at Cardomain.com... http://www.cardomain.com/id/msmyer
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

msmyer wrote:I have 257k on my Vibe and looking at the Monroe Quick Strut? How do you guys like them?
I hope to have an answer about this question this afternoon. I just drove my '07 to get all four replaced (front was saggy and rear was losing fluid.)

It's a pity I did not take the time to check Rock Auto. Canadian Tires was having a special (50%) on struts only (80$ each) but the Quick Struts are special orders at 320$ each. After arguing they gave me a 25% rebate. Still 410$ over what Rock Auto was selling at regular price.

If they did not already removed the back, I would have bailed out and ordered from RA.

cyth
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.